Solving AC Movement with Shafts A & B: Find P & Vc

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac Movement
In summary, the angle of the shaft's AC movement is regulated by runways A and B. The angular velocity of the shaft is 3 rad/sec, counterclockwise. When angle psi = 40 degrees, the velocities of pistons A and B are: Va = 3*rad/sec and Vb = 2*rad/sec. The velocity of point C is: Vc = Va + Vb.
Femme_physics
Gold Member

Homework Statement

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/9415/rock1x.jpg

Shaft's AC movement is regulated by runways A and B. The angular velocity of the shaft is 3 rad/sec, counterclockwise. When angle psi = 40 degrees. Calculate:

A) The velocities of pistons A and B (Va, Vb)
B) The velocity of point C (Vc) - magnitude and direction towards the horizontal axis.

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is finding P - the instantaneous axis of rotation. I picked this:

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/5510/getppppppppppppp.jpg Picking it, I got the correct Va, the correct Vb, and the correct Vc. (I'm still working on the angle of Vc to the horizontal axis - so far it's not correct but maybe I'm doing something obviously wrong.)

And the solution manual picked that:

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/3412/pppppppppppppp.jpg

Are they both correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

There is a very straightforward way to relate Vc to Va and Vb.
The book solutions are correct but they're complicated

The instantaneous axis is the center of movement.
This means that all points of the body make a circular motion around this axis.

In your case you know the direction of the speed at 2 points.
Are they making a circular motion around your P?

Well I just want to know how come P is in the opposite direction to my P? It's pretty easy to solve this the way the manual did actually. You just find the distance from point B to P and the distance from point A to P and the distance from point C to P and do angular velocity times this distance and you get the answer. Finding the angle of C is a bit more tricky, but I first of all want to know if I got the correct P because it gives me the same result as they...

Edit: Nevermind, I get it. It depends on the direction of the rotation! :)

Femme_physics said:
Edit: Nevermind, I get it. It depends on the direction of the rotation! :)

Hmm, I would have worded it differently.

I'd have said that any speed vector must be perpendicular... :smile:

Femme_physics said:
Fair enough, but if my P is where the solution manual says, then I get opposite results for Va and Vb to what the manual says I should get!

Perhaps if you switched the letters A and B around?

You might say of course that you're not allowed to do that.
But then, if I look at the original problem, it seems to me that they did exactly that! :biggrin:

*an embarrassing look*

Oh.

*slaps forehead*

Ouch.
I really got to stop doing that...

Thanks ILS :) Problema el solva (I have no idea if what I wrote is lingually correct)...

Femme_physics said:
*slaps forehead*

Ouch.
I really got to stop doing that...

What? The switching around of letters and similar stuff?
Or the slapping?

You can slap me if you want! :biggrin:

Femme_physics said:
Thanks ILS :) Problema el solva (I have no idea if what I wrote is lingually correct)...

If it is or not, it sounds nice! :smile:

Actually, still one problem. Finding the angle of Vc to the horizontal axis. I get 61.4 but the manual gets 59.21... I feel it's too much to chalk it up to "rounding errors".http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/5067/angllllllllllllles.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What? The switching around of letters and similar stuff?
Or the slapping?

Both!

You can slap me if you want!

Slap you? But why?!? I can't. I'm too gentle and soft. And you're too harmless. Well, maybe a little. *soft slap*... *little less of a soft slap*...

*slaps!*
*SLAPS!*
*THUMPS!*
*MONSTER THUMP!*

Woah, sorry, lost control :shy::shy::blushing:

Told you I'm a fast learner and adapter. ^^

Femme_physics said:
Actually, still one problem. Finding the angle of Vc to the horizontal axis. I get 61.4 but the manual gets 59.21... I feel it's too much to chalk it up to "rounding errors".

Yes dear madam, it is too much for rounding errors. ;)

How did you get the angle of 28.5 degrees?
Femme_physics said:
Both!

Aha, now I understand the head band.
It is both to protect your forehead from the slap, and to hide the bruises under it! :biggrin:
Femme_physics said:
Slap you? But why?!? I can't. I'm too gentle and soft. And you're too harmless. Well, maybe a little. *soft slap*... *little less of a soft slap*...

*slaps!*
*SLAPS!*
*THUMPS!*
*MONSTER THUMP!*

Woah, sorry, lost control :shy::shy::blushing:

Told you I'm a fast learner and adapter. ^^

aw, aw, aw, aw, Aw, Aw, AW, AWW, AWWWW, AIEEEH!

More please :shy::shy::!)

Last edited:

Yes dear madam, it is too much for rounding errors. ;)

How did you get the angle of 28.5 degrees?

Law of sines.

BP/sin(beta) = CP/sin(130)

When I know that CP = 641.45
And BP = 306.4

Femme_physics said:
Law of sines.

BP/sin(beta) = CP/sin(130)

When I know that CP = 641.45
And BP = 306.4

All right, so how did you get BP and CP?

EDIT: Did you perhaps take BP from the drawing where you switched the letters A and B around? :wink:

EDIT2: You wrote in your problem that the angle is "psi", but actually that is "phi".

[itex]\phi[/itex] or [itex]\varphi[/itex] is phi​

and [itex]\psi[/itex] is psi​
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

I most certainly did not switch A and B ar...no wait...wait...I most certainly did!
Your corrections are all correct-- as always. All solved ;)

thanks!

Last edited:

What is the purpose of solving AC movement with shafts A & B?

The purpose of solving AC movement with shafts A & B is to find the position (P) and velocity (Vc) of the AC (alternating current) movement. This information is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of AC systems.

What are the factors that affect the AC movement in shafts A & B?

The factors that affect the AC movement in shafts A & B include the rotational speed of the shafts, the diameter and length of the shafts, and the amount of torque applied. These factors can impact the position and velocity of the AC movement and must be taken into consideration when solving for P and Vc.

How is the AC movement in shafts A & B represented mathematically?

The AC movement in shafts A & B can be represented by a sinusoidal function, where the position (P) is a function of time (t) and the velocity (Vc) is the derivative of the position function. The equation for this representation is P(t) = A*sin(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

What are the steps involved in solving for P and Vc in AC movement with shafts A & B?

The first step is to gather all necessary information, such as the rotational speed, diameter and length of the shafts, and torque. Then, use the information to set up the equations for P and Vc. Next, solve the equations simultaneously using algebraic or numerical methods. Finally, check the solution for accuracy and make any necessary adjustments.

How can the knowledge of P and Vc in AC movement with shafts A & B be applied in real-world scenarios?

The knowledge of P and Vc in AC movement with shafts A & B can be applied in various engineering and scientific fields, such as electrical and mechanical engineering. It can be used to design and optimize AC systems, as well as troubleshoot and diagnose issues with existing systems. Additionally, this knowledge can be applied in industries that use AC motors, such as manufacturing and transportation.