Finding the intergral function (dQ/dt) = kQ

• Thread starter miniradman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the integral of a given equation, with the individual seeking feedback on their solution. After receiving assistance, they realized their mistake and corrected it, leading to a full marks potential. The only minor point mentioned was a spelling error in the title of the thread.
miniradman

Homework Statement

Find the integral (I think I'm finding the integral) of:
[itex]\frac{dQ}{dt}[/itex] =kQ

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just got feedback from my teacher, and he told me I make a mistake somewhere in this question. But I don't know where I've gone wrong?

[itex]\frac{dQ}{dt}[/itex]=kQ
[itex]\frac{dQ}{Q}[/itex]=kdt
∫[itex]\frac{dQ}{Q}[/itex]=∫kdt
lnQ=kt+c
Q=ekt+ec
Where ec is a constant, so let ec=A
Q=Aekt

∴ Q=Aekt

Can anyone see where I've gone wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you substitute your solution back into the differential equation, the LHS equals the RHS, so the solution is fine. However, you wrote in an intermediate calculation that Q = ekt + ec. It can't be an addition. Try and think why it can't be an addition.

Hint: What are rules for algebraic operations with indices?

You made the same mistake in your next post.

oh... Kt + c will have to go to

ekt+c
ektx ec

right?

Yup, I can't see any other mistakes. This answer should score full marks now.

awesome!

Thanks man, I owe you one

Technically, there is one other error. The integral, [itex]\int (1/Q)dQ= ln|Q|[/itex], not ln(Q).

ahhh... ok, thanks for that

Minor point: there is no such word as "intergral" in the English language. Seeing as you have started two threads with this in the title, I thought I should point it out.

Sorry, I have terrible spelling :frown:

1. What is the purpose of finding the integral function (dQ/dt) = kQ?

The integral function (dQ/dt) = kQ is used to model the rate of change of a quantity (Q) over time. This is useful in many scientific fields, such as physics, chemistry, and biology, where understanding the rate of change of a quantity is crucial for making predictions and analyzing data.

2. How is the integral function (dQ/dt) = kQ calculated?

The integral function (dQ/dt) = kQ is calculated by taking the integral of the function kQ with respect to time. This can be done using various mathematical techniques, such as substitution or integration by parts. The resulting integral function will then be in terms of the original quantity (Q) and its rate of change over time (dQ/dt).

3. What does the constant k represent in the integral function (dQ/dt) = kQ?

The constant k represents the rate of change of the quantity (Q) over time. It is often referred to as the "constant of proportionality" because it determines how the quantity changes over time. In some cases, k may also represent the rate of reaction or the growth rate of a population.

4. Can the integral function (dQ/dt) = kQ be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, the integral function (dQ/dt) = kQ can be used to solve real-world problems in various fields, such as economics, engineering, and ecology. By understanding the rate of change of a quantity over time, we can make predictions, optimize processes, and analyze data to make informed decisions.

5. Are there any limitations to using the integral function (dQ/dt) = kQ?

While the integral function (dQ/dt) = kQ is a powerful tool for modeling the rate of change of a quantity over time, it may not always accurately represent real-world situations. This is because it assumes a constant rate of change (k) over time, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the calculations for the integral function can become complex for more complex functions, making it challenging to use in certain situations.