Finding the magnitude of a circuit

In summary, the conversation is about finding the magnitude and direction of the current in each branch of a circuit with a 5V voltage source and two resistors. The equations I1+I2-I3=0 and I1+I2=I3 are used to solve for the currents, but the potential difference across the 5V resistor has the wrong sign, causing the answer to be incorrect. An alternate method is suggested, assigning a potential to one side of the circuit and using the current law to solve for the currents. One of the answers is incorrect and the person is seeking help to figure out why.
sweetipie2216

Homework Statement

Find the magnitude of the current in each branch of the circuit shown below, in which B1 = 1.96 V. Specify the direction of each current.

diagram: http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/6951/physics.gif

Homework Equations

I1+I2-I3=0
I1+I2=I3

The Attempt at a Solution

22I1+56(I1+I2)-5=0
78I1+56I2=5 EQUATION 1

-56(I1+I2)-75I2+B1
-56I1-131I2=-1.96
56I1+131I2=1.96 EQUATON 2

75I1+56I2=5
I1=(5-56I2)78
PLUGGED THAT INTO EQUATION 2 AND GOT: -.0179.<---- that's wrong.

i understand how to solve the equations for an unknown variable. what i want to know is why is my answer coming out wrong? Please help. Once i get this answer I will be able to solve the rest. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The potential across the 5V voltage source has the wrong sign.

so would the equation instead be 22I1+56(I1+I2)+5=0 instead of 22I1+56(I1+I2)-5=0

sweetipie2216 said:
so would the equation instead be 22I1+56(I1+I2)+5=0 instead of 22I1+56(I1+I2)-5=0

Yes. You have a current I_1 going through the right through the 22 ohm resistor. This means the left side of this resistor must be more positive than the right side. This potential difference has the same direction as the potential difference across the 5V resistor.

Personally I almost never use the Voltage law. I assign an unknown potential of V to the left
side of the circuit and 0 to the right side. You can then compute all currents, and finally use the current law on them.
Only one equation to solve and less problems with the direction of the currents. (you still need to assign a direction to all currents and stick with it)

so far for one of my answers i got I2=-.0893
i just checked and webassign said it's wrong. What am i doing wrong so that it is coming out wrong.
help a bit more its due in about an hour and half.

1. What is the purpose of finding the magnitude of a circuit?

The magnitude of a circuit is a measure of the strength or intensity of the electrical current flowing through it. It is important to calculate the magnitude in order to analyze and understand the behavior of the circuit and to determine if it is functioning properly.

2. How is the magnitude of a circuit calculated?

The magnitude of a circuit is calculated using the formula: |V| = √(R² + X²), where V is the voltage, R is the resistance, and X is the reactance. This formula takes into account both the resistance and reactance of the circuit to determine the overall magnitude.

3. What is the difference between magnitude and amplitude?

Magnitude and amplitude are often used interchangeably, but they have slightly different meanings. Magnitude refers to the overall strength of the electrical current in a circuit, while amplitude specifically refers to the maximum value of the current or voltage. In other words, magnitude is a measure of the entire current, while amplitude is a measure of the peak value.

4. How does the magnitude of a circuit affect its performance?

The magnitude of a circuit can greatly affect its performance. If the magnitude is too low, the circuit may not be able to power the intended devices or may cause them to malfunction. On the other hand, if the magnitude is too high, it can potentially damage the circuit or the devices connected to it. It is important to find the appropriate magnitude for the specific circuit and its components.

5. Can the magnitude of a circuit change?

Yes, the magnitude of a circuit can change depending on various factors such as changes in voltage, resistance, or reactance, as well as the addition or removal of components. It is important to regularly check and recalculate the magnitude of a circuit to ensure it is operating within safe and optimal levels.