Finding the Minimum Current for Magnetic Force to Equal Wire Weight

• Thread starter Turbo Math
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetic
In summary, the problem involves a wire carrying a current of 1A and having a mass of 0.18g in a magnetic field of 0.5T. The goal is to find the least current needed for the magnetic force to equal the wire's weight. Using the formula F = BIl sin θ and assuming horizontal upward direction for the field, the solution is found to be I = 0.0036 A.
Turbo Math

Homework Statement

A wire extends horizontally from east to west. The mass of its meter is (0.18)g and it carries a current of (1)A. If the wire is in a magnetic filed (0.5)T that heads horizontally upwards, determine the least current that makes the magnetic force equal the wire weight

Homework Equations

F = BIl sin θ

The Attempt at a Solution

at first i don't understand what does "heads horizontally upwards" means so this is where i end up:

mg = BIl sin θ
(0.18E-3) x 10 = 0.5x1x1 sin θ
θ = sin^-1(1.8E-3/0.5)
θ = 0.2

Physics news on Phys.org
I think horizontally upwards means perpendicular to the wire(direction of the current)

You mean..

BIl = mg
0.5 I = 1.8E-3
I = 0.0036 A ?

1. What is magnetic force?

Magnetic force is a fundamental force in nature that is responsible for the interaction between magnetic materials. It is a force that acts between two magnets, or between a magnet and a magnetic material.

2. How is magnetic force different from other forces?

Magnetic force is different from other forces, such as gravitational or electric forces, because it only acts on materials that have a magnetic field. It is also a non-contact force, meaning that the objects do not have to physically touch for the force to be exerted.

3. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be felt. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons, and is represented by lines of force that point from the north pole of a magnet to the south pole.

4. How is the strength of a magnetic field measured?

The strength of a magnetic field is measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G). One tesla is equal to 10,000 gauss. The strength of a magnetic field depends on the distance from the source and the strength of the source itself.

5. How is magnetic force used in everyday life?

Magnetic force is used in many everyday applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and MRI machines. It is also used in compasses for navigation, credit card strips for data storage, and speakers for sound production. Magnetic force is also important in Earth's magnetic field, which protects us from harmful solar radiation.