Finding the period with mass attached to two springs

In summary, when a mass is sliding on a frictionless horizontal surface, connected to two springs with force constants k1 and k2, the period of the simple harmonic sliding motion can be expressed as T = 2pi*sq root(m(k1+k2)/(k1k2)). This is derived by considering the equivalent spring constant of the two springs in series, which is given by k = k1*k2/(k1+k2). By using Hooke's law and finding the distance traveled, the period can be calculated using the formula f=1/2pi*sq root(k/m).
aal0315

Homework Statement

A mass m slides on a frictionless horizontal surface, connected to two springs. If the springs have force constants k1 and k2, show that the simple harmonic sliding motion has period: T = 2pi*sq root(m(k1+k2)/(k1k2)
There is a diagram and the springs are connected horizontally to each other and then attached to the mass.

Homework Equations

T=1/f
f=1/2pi*sq root(k/m)

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured out that for one spring T=2pi*sq root(m/k1), but i don't understand how to get k1k2 at the bottom of the equation that i need to show.

Physics news on Phys.org
When the two springs of spring constant k1 and k2 are connected in series, they behave like a single spring of equivalent spring constant k = k1*k2/(k1+k2).

This is my first post, so I hope this is okay to post! Kindly let me know if it is not.

I just did this in my homework this past weekend!

starting with Hooke's law, F=kx

for both k values:

F=k1x1
F=k2x2

so

x1=F/k1
x2=F/k2

distance traveled is x = x1+x2

x1 + x2 = F/k1 + F/k2

get common denominator of k1k2

x = (Fk2 + Fk1)/ k1k2

factor out F

x = F (k2 + k1) / k1k2

divide by F

x/F = (k2 + k1)/k1k2

now you have your k value that you can plug into your formula.

Likes EEristavi, David89, ajcoelho and 1 other person

FAQ: Finding the period with mass attached to two springs

1. What is the equation for finding the period of a mass attached to two springs?

The equation for finding the period of a mass attached to two springs is T = 2π√(m/k), where T is the period, m is the mass of the object, and k is the combined spring constant of the two springs.

2. How does changing the mass affect the period in a system with two springs?

Increasing the mass in a system with two springs will result in a longer period, while decreasing the mass will result in a shorter period. This is because a heavier mass requires more force to move and therefore takes longer to complete a cycle.

3. Can the spring constant affect the period in a system with two springs?

Yes, the spring constant can affect the period in a system with two springs. A higher spring constant will result in a shorter period, while a lower spring constant will result in a longer period.

4. How does the arrangement of the two springs affect the period in a system with two springs?

The arrangement of the two springs can affect the period in a system with two springs. If the springs are arranged in parallel, the combined spring constant will be equal to the sum of the individual spring constants. If the springs are arranged in series, the combined spring constant will be less than the individual spring constants. This will result in a longer period in the series arrangement compared to the parallel arrangement.

5. What is the significance of finding the period in a system with two springs?

Finding the period in a system with two springs is important in understanding the behavior of the system and predicting its motion. It can also be used to determine the natural frequency of the system, which can be useful in designing and analyzing mechanical systems.

Back