Finding the range of a projectile at an angle

In summary, the range of a sniper standing and raising his barrel to an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal with the end of the barrel 2.0 m above the ground and a muzzle velocity of 800m/s is approximately 800√3 meters. This is calculated by finding the time it takes for the bullet to reach the ground with the given variables and using the time to calculate the horizontal range.
Precepts

Homework Statement

Calculate the range if a sniper stands and raises his barrel to an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal with the end of the barrel 2.0 m above the ground. The muzzle velocity of his rifle is 800m/s.

Known variables:

U = 800ms^-1
Uv = 400m/s
Uh = 692.8m/s
a = -9.8m/s

Homework Equations

V = u + at
v^2 = u^2 + 2as
s = ut + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Sh = Uh x t

In order to find t, I doubled the time to the apogee:

Vv = u + at
0 = 400 x -9.8t
9.8t = 400
t = 40.8 sec. (apogee)

Therefore time of flight = 81 sec. (This is obviously wrong... using this in the range equation gives too large a number). So I don't know where to go from here. The launching at an angle + a height is confusing me, I'm just not seeing it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Precepts said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the range if a sniper stands and raises his barrel to an angle of 30 degrees above the horizontal with the end of the barrel 2.0 m above the ground. The muzzle velocity of his rifle is 800m/s.

Known variables:

U = 800ms^-1
Uv = 400m/s
Uh = 692.8m/s
a = -9.8m/s

Homework Equations

V = u + at
v^2 = u^2 + 2as
s = ut + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Sh = Uh x t

In order to find t, I doubled the time to the apogee:

Vv = u + at
0 = 400 x -9.8t
9.8t = 400
t = 40.8 sec. (apogee)

Therefore time of flight = 81 sec. (This is obviously wrong... using this in the range equation gives too large a number). So I don't know where to go from here. The launching at an angle + a height is confusing me, I'm just not seeing it.

Just where did you want to know the range?
To a point also 2m off the ground [ that's what you have been working towards ] or to a point on the ground, ie 2m below the launch height. [given the speed involved this has to be about 2√3 metres further than what you were going to calculate.

PeterO said:
Just where did you want to know the range?
To a point also 2m off the ground [ that's what you have been working towards ] or to a point on the ground, ie 2m below the launch height. [given the speed involved this has to be about 2√3 metres further than what you were going to calculate.

Right, I'm not sure where the 2m comes into it. I want to know the horizontal range for when it hits the ground. I'm not sure how to go about doing this. Thanks.

Precepts said:
Right, I'm not sure where the 2m comes into it. I want to know the horizontal range for when it hits the ground. I'm not sure how to go about doing this. Thanks.

When you chose to (inaccurately) double the "time to apogee", you were using the principle that a projectile takes just as long to go up as it takes to come down. That is true only if the projectile comes down to the same height as it left from.
The barrel of the gun was 2m above the ground - the bullet comes all the way back to ground level - so you said.

By the way 40.8 x 2 is not equal to 81

PeterO said:
When you chose to (inaccurately) double the "time to apogee", you were using the principle that a projectile takes just as long to go up as it takes to come down. That is true only if the projectile comes down to the same height as it left from.
The barrel of the gun was 2m above the ground - the bullet comes all the way back to ground level - so you said.

By the way 40.8 x 2 is not equal to 81

Yes, I understand this. Can you calculate to include the 2m?

Precepts said:

Or at least show me how...?

Precepts said:

By "can you calculate to include the 2m" were you asking whether it could be done or were you asking whether I could calculate it?

To the latter - yes I can.

To the former - yes it can be.

Can you calculate the time taken for a ball to reach the ground when thrown up from the roof of a 20m building? (that is a general question, but if you want some practice, let's say it was thrown at 20m/s at an angle of 30o with the horizontal. To make the calculations really easy, take g = 10)

Precepts said:
Or at least show me how...?

To allow for the 2m height, the final vertical displacement of the bullet is 2m down.

PeterO said:
By "can you calculate to include the 2m" were you asking whether it could be done or were you asking whether I could calculate it?

To the latter - yes I can.

Thanks, could you work the solution for me? I just want to see how you did it.

Edit - Nvm, I solved it.

Last edited:
Precepts said:
Thanks, could you work the solution for me? I just want to see how you did it.

I will use g = 10 for simplicity. You can do it "properly" using g = 9.8

Initial velocity 800 m/s means initial vertical is 400 m/s up.

line up the variables - I use v,u,a,s,t

take up as positive:

u = 400
v = not wanted
a = -10
s = -2
t = ?

I want the motion equation without v ... s = ut + 0.5 at2

-2 = 400t - 5t2

so 5t2 - 400t - 2 = 0

use general solution to quadratic equation

t = [400 ±√(160000 + 40)]/10

t = [400 ±√160040]/10

t = [400 ± 400.05]/10

t can't be negative so

t = 800.05/10 = 80.005

range is thus Horizontal speed times 80.005 ie 400√3 x 80.005 = whatever

PeterO said:
I will use g = 10 for simplicity. You can do it "properly" using g = 9.8

Initial velocity 800 m/s means initial vertical is 400 m/s up.

line up the variables - I use v,u,a,s,t

take up as positive:

u = 400
v = not wanted
a = -10
s = -2
t = ?

I want the motion equation without v ... s = ut + 0.5 at2

-2 = 400t - 5t2

so 5t2 - 400t - 2 = 0

use general solution to quadratic equation

t = [400 ±√(160000 + 40)]/10

t = [400 ±√160040]/10

t = [400 ± 400.05]/10

t can't be negative so

t = 800.05/10 = 80.005

range is thus Horizontal speed times 80.005 ie 400√3 x 80.005 = whatever

Thanks for that, I didn't use the quadratic equation and got the correct answer. I forgot about it.

1. What is the formula for finding the range of a projectile at an angle?

The formula for finding the range of a projectile at an angle is: R = (v^2 * sin2θ) / g, where R is the range, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How does the angle of launch affect the range of a projectile?

The angle of launch directly affects the range of a projectile. The range will be greatest when the angle of launch is 45 degrees, and will decrease as the angle increases or decreases from 45 degrees.

3. Can the range of a projectile at an angle be negative?

No, the range of a projectile at an angle cannot be negative. The range is a measure of the horizontal distance traveled by the projectile and cannot be negative.

4. How does air resistance affect the range of a projectile at an angle?

Air resistance can affect the range of a projectile at an angle by slowing down the projectile and reducing its overall distance traveled. However, this effect is usually only significant for objects traveling at high speeds.

5. Is the range of a projectile at an angle affected by the mass of the object?

Yes, the range of a projectile at an angle is affected by the mass of the object. A heavier object will have a shorter range than a lighter object, assuming all other factors (initial velocity, angle of launch, etc.) are the same.