Finding the total translational KE of 1kg of Neon

In summary, the conversation revolved around a question regarding the mean translational kinetic energy of neon gas. The solution involved using the equation 3/2 RT for any ideal gas, with the reminder to be mindful of large or small numbers and to remember the gas constant of 8.3 joule per mole per kelvin.
Will Griffiths
posters are reminded that readibility requirs that working be presented as text or Latex, not in handwriting

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2016-01-15 at 11.54.56.png

The screen shot I have attached is the original question, I think I'm ok up until the Ne part.
My answer just seems like a ridiculous number, I haven't had much experience with this so don't really know what an 'normal' KE for 1kg of gas would be.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

12528286_10153692093695935_1950578055_o.jpg

Hopefully it's clear what I've done. The solution to the first part (deriving and expression for the mean translational KE...) is the equation I start with, if that is wrong then please let me know.
EDIT - have just realized I put the final answer as 5.49... it should be 2.49.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Will Griffiths said:
My answer just seems like a ridiculous number, I haven't had much experience with this so don't really know what an 'normal' KE for 1kg of gas would be.
The translational kinetic energy per mole is 3/2 RT for any ideal gas.
Neon is quite light, so there are many moles in a kilogram.

Likes Will Griffiths
PietKuip said:
The translational kinetic energy per mole is 3/2 RT for any ideal gas.
Neon is quite light, so there are many moles in a kilogram.
Yes there are 50 moles. Do you think my answer is correct then? :)

Avoid calculating with numbers that are so large or small that you do not have any intuition for it.
The basic number to remember is the gas constant, 8.3 joule per mole per kelvin. That way you can be more confident about your answer.

PietKuip said:
Avoid calculating with numbers that are so large or small that you do not have any intuition for it.
The basic number to remember is the gas constant, 8.3 joule per mole per kelvin. That way you can be more confident about your answer.
Ok, thanks for your advice :)

What is translational kinetic energy?

Translational kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is calculated as 1/2 * mass * velocity squared.

How do I find the mass of 1kg of Neon?

The mass of 1kg of Neon can be found by weighing it on a scale or by using its molar mass, which is 20.18 grams per mole. This means that 1kg of Neon is equivalent to approximately 49.4 moles.

What is the velocity of Neon?

The velocity of Neon varies depending on its state (solid, liquid, or gas) and its temperature. At room temperature (25°C), the average velocity of Neon gas is around 450 m/s.

How do I calculate the total translational KE of 1kg of Neon?

The total translational KE of 1kg of Neon can be calculated by multiplying its mass (1kg) by the square of its velocity (450 m/s squared), and then dividing by 2. This results in a total translational KE of approximately 101,250 joules.

What factors can affect the translational KE of 1kg of Neon?

The translational KE of 1kg of Neon can be affected by factors such as its mass, velocity, and temperature. Changes in these factors can result in changes in the overall translational KE of the Neon.