How Do I Find the Transition Matrix Between Matrices C and B?

In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration of trying to find the transition matrix between two given matrices and the different methods used to solve this problem, including watching videos and using online calculators. The correct answer is provided for one of the problems, but the other remains unsolved.
robertjford80

Homework Statement

I'm enormously frustrated with these problems. I've been trying to figure out how to find out what the transition matrix between C and B is for about 2 hours and I still can't get it. I've watched 4 youtube videos and read two websites as well as the section in my textbook. I still can't get it. Anyway, this one video on youtube said that to get the transition matrix between these two matrices

[1 -1 0] [-1 1 0]
[0 0 1] [1 2 1]
[1 0 2] [0 -1 0]

you just put them together in a 3 by 6 matrix and reduce it to reduced row echelon form and the 3 by 3 matrix on the right is your transition matrix in this case

[-2 -5 -2]
[-1 -6 -2]
[1 2 1]

Well that method doesn't work for the problems I'm working on. Number 17 and 21. (I can get 19)

Screenshot2012-05-13at92646PM.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Using this calculator (if I calculated everything by hand I would have wasted 5 hours already)
http://www.math.odu.edu/~bogacki/cgi-bin/lat.cgi?c=roc

I get

[5 4 6]
[4 3 4]
[-2 -2 3]

the book says the answer is

[-7 -6 12]
[6 5 -10]
[-4 -4 7]

I can't get the right answer for 17 either but we'll just worry about 21 for now.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm still open to help for this problem, if anyone is capable.

Lets look at problem 21, for instance.
Observe that:
[itex]\left(
\begin{array}{c}
-1\\
2\\
\end{array}
\right)
= -7
\left(
\begin{array}{c}
1\\
0\\
\end{array}
\right)
+ 6
\left(
\begin{array}{c}
1\\
1\\
\end{array}
\right)
\left(
\begin{array}{c}
0\\
1\\
\end{array}
\right)
[/itex]
So, the first column of my transition matrix will be [itex]
\left(
\begin{array}{c}
-7\\
6\\
\end{array}
\right)
[/itex]
Decomposing the other two B basis vectors in terms of the C basis vectors in similar fashion will yield the two other columns.

1. What is a transition matrix?

A transition matrix is a mathematical tool used in statistics and probability to describe the probability of moving from one state to another in a system over time. It is often represented as a square matrix where each row and column represents a different state, and the values in the matrix represent the probabilities of transitioning between those states.

2. How is a transition matrix used in scientific research?

A transition matrix is commonly used in scientific research to model and predict changes in systems over time. It is particularly useful in fields such as ecology, epidemiology, and economics, where understanding and predicting transitions between different states is important.

3. How is a transition matrix calculated?

A transition matrix is typically calculated by collecting data on the transitions between states over a period of time and then using mathematical methods to estimate the probabilities of those transitions occurring. These methods may include Markov chain analysis, least squares regression, or Bayesian inference.

4. Can a transition matrix be used for non-linear systems?

Yes, a transition matrix can be used for both linear and non-linear systems. However, for non-linear systems, the matrix may need to be updated and recalculated more frequently to accurately reflect changes in the system.

5. What are some limitations of using a transition matrix?

One limitation of using a transition matrix is that it assumes the probability of transitioning between states is constant over time, which may not always be the case. Additionally, the accuracy of the matrix depends on the quality and quantity of data used to calculate it. Lastly, a transition matrix may not account for all factors that could influence transitions between states in a system.