Finding the voltage in a non- series/parallel circuit

In summary: Note that I have assumed that the battery is supplying current. If it is sinking current then the power will be +60W.In summary, to find VAB and the power supplied by the source, you can ignore R1 and R4 and use a potential divider equation to calculate the voltage across R3, which is the same as VAB. The power supplied by the source can be calculated by applying KCL at the battery positive node and using the voltage and current values obtained from the potential divider equation and the battery.
JJBladester
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Find VAB and the power supplied by the source.

circuit_problem.JPG

Homework Equations

[itex]\sum V=0[/itex] around a closed loop
[tex]V_x=\left (\frac{R_x}{R_T} \right )E[/tex]
[tex]I_x=\left (\frac{R_T}{R_x} \right )I[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

problem_5.jpg

I end up getting the correct equivalent resistance (40.64 Ω), source current (1.23 A), and source power (61.5 W). However, my result for VAB is .096 V but according to my circuit simulation software it should be 29.73 V. Where did I go wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why are you shorting out A and B? In the circuit you have shown, R4 is just dangling out there, not dissipating any power.

I haven't checked your attempt but did you notice that when calculating Vab you can:

1) ignore R1 (eg remove it because it's parallel with V1).
2) You can also short R4 because the current in R4 = 0

Redraw the circuit and you end up with a v. simple two resistor circuit with just R2 and R3 as a potential divider..

Vab = V1 * R3/(R2+R3)

= 50 * 220/(150+220)

= 29.73 V

To calculate the power apply KCL to the battery positive node.

Hint: Calculate the current flowing in R3 from Vab/R3.

No current flows through R4 so Vab is the same as the V across R3.
R2 and R3 form a potential divider

lewando said:
Why are you shorting out A and B? In the circuit you have shown, R4 is just dangling out there, not dissipating any power.

There was no reason for me to short A and B. It was my mistake. It appears that R4 is a red herring in this problem.

CWatters said:
...ignore R1 (eg remove it because it's parallel with V1)...

I think I have gotten to the solution. After thinking about what you both said, it was a much easier route than what I was attempting to do. The big aha moment was the realization that R4 was not contributing as it was "dangling" on the original circuit.

problem_5_revised.jpg

I would do it this way..

Apply KCL at the battery positive node..

Ibat + IR1+IR2 = 0
or
- Ibat = IR1+IR2

Note that with R4 open circuit then..
IR2=IR3=VR3/R3=29.73/220= 135mA

As R1 is in parallel with the 50V supply then..
IR1 = 50/47= 1.064A

Substitute these two values into the above

-Ibat = 1.064 + 0.135
= 1.199A call it -1.2A

Power = V * I
= 50 * -1.2
= -60W

1. How do you calculate voltage in a non-series/parallel circuit?

To calculate voltage in a non-series/parallel circuit, you will need to use Ohm's Law, which states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). This means that you will need to measure the current and resistance at different points in the circuit and then use the formula V = I x R to find the voltage at that specific point.

2. Can voltage be different at different points in a non-series/parallel circuit?

Yes, voltage can vary at different points in a non-series/parallel circuit. This is because the resistance and current can change at different points in the circuit, which will result in different voltage readings. It is important to measure the voltage at multiple points in the circuit to get an accurate understanding of the voltage distribution.

3. What is the difference between voltage in a series circuit and a parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, the voltage is the same at every point in the circuit. This is because the current only has one path to travel through. In a parallel circuit, the voltage can vary at different points because the current has multiple paths to travel through, resulting in different levels of resistance.

4. How does the resistance affect the voltage in a non-series/parallel circuit?

The resistance in a non-series/parallel circuit affects the voltage by limiting the flow of current. This means that the higher the resistance, the lower the voltage will be, and vice versa. Resistance is an important factor in determining the voltage at different points in a circuit.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the voltage in a non-series/parallel circuit?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the voltage in a non-series/parallel circuit, such as the type of material used in the wires, the temperature of the circuit, and the presence of any other electrical components. It is important to consider all of these factors when calculating voltage in a non-series/parallel circuit.