Finding the volume of these figures

• Thread starter yik-boh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
In summary, to find the volume of a tetrahedron with height h and base an equilateral triangle with side a, you can slice it horizontally into pieces of height dz and then find the volume of each piece, which will be an equilateral triangle with sides decreasing from a at z = 0 to 0 at z = h. For the volume common to two spheres with radius r, if the center of each sphere lies on the surface of the other sphere, you can slice the intersection of the spheres into circles of thickness d\theta and use some trigonometry to find the expression for the radius r(\theta). Then, you can integrate the volume of each little circular disc, \pi r^2 \, d\
yik-boh

Homework Statement

Find the volume of the described figures

1. A pyramid with height h and base an equilateral triangle with side a (a tetrahedron).

2. Find the volume common to two spheres each with radius r, if the center of each sphere lies on the surface of the other sphere.

These are hard problems and I really do not know what to do. Our teacher gave this to us as a challenge and I really would like to know how to solve these two. I hope you can help me by explaining each important step you will take. I hope you can make it detailed as much as possible. I really am having a hard time in Calculus. Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
For 1): you can slice the tetrahedron horizontally into pieces of height dz. Then each piece will again be an equilateral triangle whose sides decrease from a at z = 0 to 0 at z = h.

For 2): you can slice the intersection of the spheres into circles of thickness [itex]d\theta[/itex] whose radius [itex]r(\theta)[/itex] increases from [itex]r(\theta = -\pi / 2) = 0[/itex] to [itex]r(\theta = 0) = r[/itex] (see attachment) and you can use some fancy trig work to find the expression for r(theta).

Attachments

• circles.jpg
    circles.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 401
It was you the teacher was challenging, not us! There are a number of different ways to do these problems ranging from looking up standard formulas to using Calculus as CompuChip suggests.

CompuChip said:
For 1): you can slice the tetrahedron horizontally into pieces of height dz. Then each piece will again be an equilateral triangle whose sides decrease from a at z = 0 to 0 at z = h.

For 2): you can slice the intersection of the spheres into circles of thickness [itex]d\theta[/itex] whose radius [itex]r(\theta)[/itex] increases from [itex]r(\theta = -\pi / 2) = 0[/itex] to [itex]r(\theta = 0) = r[/itex] (see attachment) and you can use some fancy trig work to find the expression for r(theta).

I'm sorry but I don't exactly get it. I'm really having a hard time in Calculus right now.

For #1, what is dz? Just a representation for height? and I can't picture properly the tetrahedron I need to slice.

For #2, I really don't get it. I'm sorry.

I hope you'll still explain it to me.

I got the 1st one already. Only #2 left.

Here is another hint, hopefully it clarifies a bit better what I meant.
The volume of the little circular disc (actually, it's a cylinder with radius r and thickness dtheta) that I drew is [itex]\pi r^2 \, d\theta[/itex]. Of course you'll have to express r as a function of theta before you do the integration (and find the appropriate limits for theta).

Attachments

• circles_hint.jpg
    circles_hint.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 391

What is the formula for finding the volume of a figure?

The formula for finding the volume of a figure depends on the shape of the figure. For a cube or rectangular prism, the formula is length x width x height. For a cylinder, the formula is π x radius^2 x height. For a sphere, the formula is (4/3) x π x radius^3.

What units should be used when measuring the dimensions for finding volume?

The units used for measuring the dimensions should be consistent. For example, if the length, width, and height are measured in meters, then the volume will be in cubic meters. It is important to make sure all measurements are in the same units before using the formula for volume.

How do I find the volume of an irregularly shaped figure?

If the figure is irregularly shaped, it may not have a specific formula for finding its volume. In this case, the best method is to use the water displacement method. Fill a graduated cylinder with a known volume of water and then carefully submerge the figure in the water. The difference in the water level before and after the figure is submerged will give the volume of the figure.

Can the volume of a figure be negative?

No, the volume of a figure cannot be negative. Volume is a measure of how much space an object takes up and it is always positive. If you end up with a negative value when finding the volume, it is likely that the dimensions were not measured correctly or the formula was not used correctly.

What is the significance of finding the volume of a figure?

Finding the volume of a figure is important in many real-world applications. It can help in construction projects, calculating the amount of material needed for packaging, and understanding the capacity of containers. It is also an important concept in math and science, as it helps us understand the properties of 3-dimensional objects.