Finding velocity of a piece after explosion

In summary, the original piece of fireworks moves up, the statement tells us. Where is that v in your attempt ? Then it separates into 4 chunks that apparently fly off in a special manner. What are the parameters that describe their velocities? How do horizontal and vertical velocities develop in time ? What do you do with the 2 seconds ?
goatz4real

Homework Statement

A firework of mass 1 kg is placed on the ground and ignited , the impulse created by the explosion causes it to move vertically upwards,after 4 seconds a second explosion takes place in air and the horizontal impulse forces cause it to separate into 4 identical pieces

2 seconds after the 2nd explosion these 4 pieces travel horizontally in the same plane that the 2nd explosion took place and reach the vertices of a square of diagonal 80 meters

Find the horizontal velocity imparted on a piece after the 2nd explosion ??

Homework Equations

P = m v
P initial = P final

The Attempt at a Solution

1kg x 50 m/s = 1/4kg x (V1 + V2 + V3+ V4) m/s

I can't figure out the what to do next

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello goatz, :welcome:

Your attempt is a bit feeble by PF standards....
what are V1, V2, V3, V4 that you need four symbols ?

The original piece of fireworks moves up, the statement tells us. Where is that v in your attempt ?
Then it separates into 4 chunks that apparently fly off in a special manner. What are the parameters that describe their velocities? How do horizontal and vertical velocities develop in time ?
What do you do with the 2 seconds ?

Can you make a drawing of the sequence ?

Likes goatz4real
BvU said:
Hello goatz, :welcome:

Your attempt is a bit feeble by PF standards....
what are V1, V2, V3, V4 that you need four symbols ?

The original piece of fireworks moves up, the statement tells us. Where is that v in your attempt ?
Then it separates into 4 chunks that apparently fly off in a special manner. What are the parameters that describe their velocities? How do horizontal and vertical velocities develop in time ?
What do you do with the 2 seconds ?

Can you make a drawing of the sequence ?

I actually figured it out , this whole time i was trying to apply linear momentum , that`s why i was stuck. You can simply get the answer by using V=S/T

I find that hard to believe. Can you show what you did ?
[edit] never mind. I read post #1 a little better and I can follow you.

What is the formula for finding the velocity of a piece after explosion?

The formula for finding the velocity of a piece after explosion is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

What is the difference between initial velocity and final velocity?

Initial velocity refers to the velocity of an object before any changes occur, while final velocity refers to the velocity of the object after changes have been made.

How does acceleration affect the velocity of a piece after explosion?

Acceleration determines how quickly the velocity of a piece changes after an explosion. The greater the acceleration, the faster the velocity will change.

What units are used to measure velocity?

Velocity is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

Is the velocity of a piece after explosion affected by external factors?

Yes, the velocity of a piece after explosion can be affected by external factors such as air resistance, friction, and gravity. These factors can either increase or decrease the velocity depending on their magnitude and direction.