Finding voltages across capacitors under DC conditions

In summary, the voltage across the capacitors in the given circuit can be found by using the equation V=IR and considering the capacitors as open circuits in DC conditions. The voltage across V1 is 30V, as it is in parallel with the 30 ohm resistor. For V2, the voltage is equal to 60-20*I1, where I1 is the current flowing through the 20 ohm resistor and causing a potential drop of 20V. As no current flows through the 50 ohm resistor, the potential V2 is the same as the potential at the positive terminal of the battery, which is 40V lower than the 0 point.
ravensfan

Homework Statement

Find the voltage across the capacitors in the circuit given under DC conditions.

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

The solution is already given (the picture attached was obtained from the solution manual. I have a difficult time understanding how they arrived to that answer. V1 and V2 are really capacitors, but since this is in DC conditions, they are treated as open circuits.

I think I understand why V1 is 30v - since this circuit is essentially 3 resistors in series on the left side, all I'd need to do is find the current, then use that current across the 30 ohm resistor to find voltage, and since that resistor is in parallel with the capacitor, the voltage would be the same.

The right side is what I do not understand. Why would the voltage V2 be equal to 60-20*I1?

Thanks.

Attachments

• cap.jpg
    cap.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 2,079
Physics news on Phys.org
ravensfan said:

The right side is what I do not understand. Why would the voltage V2 be equal to 60-20*I1?

Current I1=1A flows through the 20 ohm resistor, causing a potential drop of 20 V across it.
The potential at the positive terminal of the battery is 60 V with respect to the 0 point. Across a resistor, the current flows from the positive end towards the negative one, so the potential Ua is 20V lower than U+: Ua=60-20=40V. As no current flows through the 50 ohm resistor, the potential V2 is the same as Ua.

Attachments

• circuit.JPG
    circuit.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 2,526
ehild said:
Current I1=1A flows through the 20 ohm resistor, causing a potential drop of 20 V across it.
The potential at the positive terminal of the battery is 60 V with respect to the 0 point. Across a resistor, the current flows from the positive end towards the negative one, so the potential Ua is 20V lower than U+: Ua=60-20=40V. As no current flows through the 50 ohm resistor, the potential V2 is the same as Ua.

I understand what you are saying. Thank you very much for the help!

1. How do capacitors behave under DC conditions?

Under DC conditions, capacitors block the flow of direct current. This means that they act as an open circuit and do not allow current to pass through them.

2. What is the equation for calculating the voltage across a capacitor under DC conditions?

The equation for calculating the voltage across a capacitor under DC conditions is V = Q/C, where V is the voltage, Q is the charge on the capacitor, and C is the capacitance.

3. How can I find the voltage across multiple capacitors in series under DC conditions?

To find the total voltage across capacitors in series, you can use the equation V = V1 + V2 + V3 + ..., where V1, V2, V3, etc. are the voltages across each individual capacitor.

4. Is the voltage across a capacitor under DC conditions affected by the value of the capacitor?

Yes, the voltage across a capacitor under DC conditions is directly proportional to the capacitance. This means that a larger capacitor will have a higher voltage and a smaller capacitor will have a lower voltage.

5. Can capacitors store energy under DC conditions?

Yes, capacitors can store energy under DC conditions. The energy stored in a capacitor can be calculated using the equation E = 1/2 * C * V^2, where E is the energy, C is the capacitance, and V is the voltage across the capacitor.