Solving for Volume of 3-D Structures

In summary, according to the student, the equation ##x^2+y^2-x=0## is that of a cylinder when the center of the cylinder is not at x=0 but at h. The student attempted to find the vertex of the paraboloid using graphs, but was not successful. He then tried to find the volume of the cylinder by integrating its height within the domain described by the contour of the base. However, he was not able to understand what domain he was working in.
Saitama

Homework Statement

(see attachment)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

How the equation ##x^2+y^2-x=0## is that of a cylinder? That looks to me an equation of a circle. I haven't learned about the different 3-D structures so I tried solving this using graphs. I tried to find the vertex of the paraboloid, it came out to be (0,0,1). Is this right? I am not sure how to proceed further from here.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• volume.png
    volume.png
    16.3 KB · Views: 425
Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav-Arora said:
How the equation ##x^2+y^2-x=0## is that of a cylinder? That looks to me an equation of a circle.

You get the cylinder by moving the circle along the z-axis. You can move the circle because z is not fixed by equation.

I haven't learned about the different 3-D structures so I tried solving this using graphs. I tried to find the vertex of the paraboloid, it came out to be (0,0,1). Is this right? I am not sure how to proceed further from here.

You should definitely sketch the problem, in order to figure out the integration domain and the integrand.

for the cylinder the axis is along the z-axis if the center is at x=0 y=0 then x^2 + y^2 = R^2 in a plane would be a circle but along z is a cylinder.

Now, if the center of the cylinder is not at x but say at h then the equation would be rewritten as:

(x-h)^2 + y^2 = R^2 and expanding the (x-h)^2 term you'd get x^2 -2hx + h^2

and inserting that back into the equation gives you something like your equation x^2 + y^2 - x = 0
so its a cylinder along the z-axis but not with a center at x=0 and y=0

Thanks both of you but I am having trouble visualising the figure. I drew a sketch but I am unable to find the volume cut out by the parabola. The cylinder extends infinitely aand at some point cuts the parabola. I can't form the integral for finding out the volume.

Let's start with the domain first. One of the limiting planes is z = 0, so your domain could be in the XY plane. What does it look like?

Two circles. One with centre at (1/2,0) and radius 1/2, the other is a circle of radius 1 centred at origin formed due to paraboloid.

What about the x = 0 and y = 0 planes?

voko said:
What about the x = 0 and y = 0 planes?

In both the cases, a parabola with vertex at (0,0,1).

I did not make myself clear. In the XY plane, what do the x = 0 and y = 0 conditions mean with regard to the domain? You have already found two "nested" circles there - but where exactly is the structure located?

voko said:
I did not make myself clear. In the XY plane, what do the x = 0 and y = 0 conditions mean with regard to the domain? You have already found two "nested" circles there - but where exactly is the structure located?

Haven't I already said that its a parabola rotated about the z-axis? I am not able to understand what you mean when you say where it is located [size= 1](and that's because of my poor English)[/size].

The structure has a flat base at z = 0, i.e., it is in the XY plane. The contour of the base is somehow given by the four lines mentioned above. By integrating the structure's height within the domain described by the contour, you get the volume of the structure.

voko said:
The structure has a flat base at z = 0, i.e., it is in the XY plane. The contour of the base is somehow given by the four lines mentioned above. By integrating the structure's height within the domain described by the contour, you get the volume of the structure.

:confused:
What's the structure's height?

Tell me if I am understanding the problem correctly. I need to find the volume of cylinder till the point it intercepts the paraboloid, right?

Pranav-Arora said:
:confused:
What's the structure's height?

Tell me if I am understanding the problem correctly. I need to find the volume of cylinder till the point it intercepts the paraboloid, right?

I think that's right, you need to define an integral that is evaluated within the bounds of the circle base of the cylinder with the z ranging from 0 to whatever the parabola eqn says. The x would range from 0 to diameter of the cylinder and the y would range from 0 to whatever x^2 +y^2 -x = 0 defines it as and that by symmetry would give you have the volume.

No, you are not understanding the problem correctly. The five surfaces must intersect to form some CLOSED volume. In the z direction it is simple: the bottom is the z = 0 plane, and the top is the paraboloid. What about the "sides" of the structure?

jedishrfu said:
I think that's right, you need to define an integral that is evaluated within the bounds of the circle base of the cylinder with the z ranging from 0 to whatever the parabola eqn says. The x would range from 0 to diameter of the cylinder and the y would range from 0 to whatever x^2 +y^2 -x = 0 defines it as and that by symmetry would give you have the volume.

voko said:
No, you are not understanding the problem correctly. The five surfaces must intersect to form some CLOSED volume. In the z direction it is simple: the bottom is the z = 0 plane, and the top is the paraboloid. What about the "sides" of the structure?

Please see the attachment. Do I have to find the volume of the region filled with blue lines?

Attachments

• volume.jpg
    volume.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 357
voko said:

Isn't the sides just the cylinder along the z-direction which is what the OP implied topped by the paraboloid surface?

Pranav-Arora said:
Please see the attachment. Do I have to find the volume of the region filled with blue lines?

Yes, that is correct. You still need to find the XY domain, however.

jedishrfu said:
Isn't the sides just the cylinder along the z-direction which is what the OP implied topped by the paraboloid surface?

Then the problem specifies too many unnecessary conditions such as x = 0 and y = 0. Look at the drawing in #8. You are suggesting that the inner circle is the base of the structure. Then surely x = 0 and y = 0 are completely superfluous as conditions. Yet they are specified.

voko said:
Yes, that is correct. You still need to find the XY domain, however.

Can you give me some hints for that? I am having trouble visualising the structure. The XY coordinates of the highest point of the base if (1/2,1/2).

Look at the XY plane (as in #8). The left "side" is delimited by y = 0. What other sides should you select to form a closed base?

voko said:
Look at the XY plane (as in #8). The left "side" is delimited by y = 0. What other sides should you select to form a closed base?

There is no diagram in #8. :confused:
Do you mean #11? Isn't the left side delimited by x=0?

Yes, I meant #11 and I meant x = 0 :)

voko said:
Yes, I meant #11 and I meant x = 0 :)

Are the other sides x=1, y=1/2 and y=-1/2?

The other sides of the base must be intersections of the plane z = 0 with the other surfaces given. Those intersections are all given in #11.

1. How do you calculate the volume of a structure?

To calculate the volume of a structure, you need to measure the length, width, and height of the structure and then multiply those three numbers together. This will give you the total volume of the structure in units cubed (e.g. cubic inches, cubic feet, cubic meters).

2. What tools do you need to find the volume of a structure?

You will need a ruler or measuring tape to measure the length, width, and height of the structure. You may also need a calculator to perform the multiplication and get the final volume measurement.

3. Can the volume of a structure change?

Yes, the volume of a structure can change if its dimensions change. For example, if you add or remove material from the structure, its volume will change accordingly. However, the volume of a solid structure will remain the same unless its dimensions change.

4. How is finding the volume of a structure useful?

Finding the volume of a structure is useful for a variety of reasons. For engineers and architects, it helps them determine the amount of material needed to construct the structure. For scientists, it can provide valuable information about the density of the structure and its potential uses. Additionally, knowing the volume of a structure can be helpful in calculating its weight and stability.

5. Are there any shortcuts for finding the volume of a structure?

Yes, there are some shortcuts that can be used to find the volume of certain structures. For example, the volume of a cube or rectangular prism can be calculated by simply multiplying the length, width, and height. For more complex shapes, there are mathematical formulas that can be used to find the volume. However, for irregular structures, it is best to measure all dimensions and calculate the volume using the basic formula.