How do I find the volume of gas using the given mass of oxygen?

• Thread starter thevinciz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Volume
In summary, the conversation revolved around converting mass of oxygen into moles and determining the mole ratio of oxygen to nitrogen. The concept of volume fraction and mole fraction was also discussed. The final solution was found by taking 1kg of gas mixture and calculating the mass and moles of each gas, resulting in a mole fraction of oxygen of 6.25/34.85.
thevinciz

Homework Statement

1526211463022.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to change mass of oxygen into mol and I got ratio of oxygen and nitrogen. And I don't really know what to do.

Attachments

• 1526211463022.jpg
    1526211463022.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 742
Physics news on Phys.org
thevinciz said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 225654

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to change mass of oxygen into mol and I got ratio of oxygen and nitrogen. And I don't really know what to do.
In common terminology, the term volume fraction is used synonymously with mole fraction.

Likes phoenix95
phoenix95 said:
Well done.

Now try using Ideal gas law. Use the mole ratio you obtained.

Could you explain more?

Chestermiller said:
In common terminology, the term volume fraction is used synonymously with mole fraction.

Do you mean mol of oxygen / mol of nitrogen is equal to volume of oxygen / volume of nitrogen? But I still don't know how to solve.

thevinciz said:
Do you mean mol of oxygen / mol of nitrogen is equal to volume of oxygen / volume of nitrogen? But I still don't know how to solve.
Let's see the details of what you did.

Chestermiller said:
Let's see the details of what you did.

I got molO2/molN2 = 2.8/12.8 and from your comment I understand that volumeO2/volumeN2 = 2.8/12.8

thevinciz said:
I got molO2/molN2 = 2.8/12.8 and from your comment I understand that volumeO2/volumeN2 = 2.8/12.8
This is incorrect. If you take as a basis 1 kg of gas mixture, what is the mass of oxygen in the mixture? What is the mass of nitrogen in the mixture? What are the number of moles of oxygen in the mixture? What are the number of moles of nitrogen in the mixture? What is the mole fraction oxygen? What is the mole fraction nitrogen?

Chestermiller said:
This is incorrect. If you take as a basis 1 kg of gas mixture, what is the mass of oxygen in the mixture? What is the mass of nitrogen in the mixture? What are the number of moles of oxygen in the mixture? What are the number of moles of nitrogen in the mixture? What is the mole fraction oxygen? What is the mole fraction nitrogen?

In 1kg ,mass of O2 = 0.2 kg
mass of N2 = 0.8 kg
mole of O2 = 12.5
mole of N2 = 28.6

So total mole is 41.1 : mole fraction O2 = 12.5/41.1
mole fraction N2 = 28.6/41.1

thevinciz said:
In 1kg ,mass of O2 = 0.2 kg
mass of N2 = 0.8 kg
mole of O2 = 12.5

Moles O2 = 6.25

Chestermiller said:
Moles O2 = 6.25

I see

Chestermiller said:
Moles O2 = 6.25

Thanks I got the answer now, is it 6.25/6.25+28.6 right?

Likes Chestermiller

What is the definition of volume of gas?

The volume of gas refers to the amount of space that a gas occupies. It is typically measured in units such as liters or cubic meters.

How is the volume of gas calculated?

The volume of gas can be calculated using the ideal gas law, which takes into account the temperature, pressure, and number of moles of gas present. It can also be measured directly using specialized equipment such as a gas syringe or graduated cylinder.

Why is it important to know the volume of gas?

Knowing the volume of gas is important in many scientific and industrial applications. It can help determine the amount of gas present in a container, the rate of gas production or consumption, and the efficiency of gas reactions.

What factors can affect the volume of gas?

The volume of gas can be affected by changes in temperature and pressure. It can also be influenced by the type of gas and the presence of other substances in the container.

How can the volume of gas be controlled?

The volume of gas can be controlled by adjusting the temperature and pressure of the container it is in. It can also be controlled by changing the amount of gas present through addition or removal of gas molecules.