Finding volume using triple integral

In summary, to find the volume of the solid formed by the given equations, you will need to use a triple integral with an integrand of 1. You will also need to use dzrdrd\theta and consider converting the functions into a different coordinate system. To find the volume in the first quadrant, you will need to multiply the result by 8.
woogirl14

Homework Statement

I need to find the volume of a solid formed by the following equations:
x^2+y^2 > 1
x^2+z^2 = 1
x^2 + y^2 =1

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that it is a triple integral and the integrand is 1.
I also know that I need to use dzrdrd[tex]\theta[/tex].

I believe that you need two integrals, one with z going from 0 to sqrt (1-costheta^2) and the other with z going from 0 to sqrt (1-sintheta^2). I only want to find the volume in the first quadrant then I will multiply by 8.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you been told you need to use [tex]dz rd rd\theta[/tex] ?

If so then rethink you co-ordinate system when integrating, and look at your functions and see if you can convert them into any other coordinate system you know of

Related to Finding volume using triple integral

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is a mathematical concept used to find the volume of a three-dimensional space, such as a solid object. It involves integrating a function over three variables, typically x, y, and z.

2. How is triple integral different from double integral?

A triple integral is similar to a double integral in that it involves integration over multiple variables. However, a double integral is used to find the area under a curve in two dimensions, while a triple integral is used to find the volume in three dimensions.

3. What is the formula for finding volume using triple integral?

The formula for finding volume using triple integral is ∭ f(x,y,z) dV, where f(x,y,z) is the function representing the object and dV represents the infinitesimal volume element in three-dimensional space.

4. Can triple integral be used for irregularly shaped objects?

Yes, triple integral can be used to find the volume of irregularly shaped objects. This is because the integration covers the entire three-dimensional space, allowing for the calculation of volume for any shape.

5. What are some real-life applications of triple integral?

Triple integrals have numerous applications in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields. They are commonly used to calculate the volume of objects with complex shapes, such as fluid flow in pipes, mass distribution in three-dimensional objects, and electric charge distribution in three-dimensional space.