1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Finding weight of a mass

1. May 14, 2013 #1
    Hey guys, i need you help to find the weightof a mass required to produce the same applied force to rods.
    (sorry english is not my first language) i will try to explain this with a diagram.

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    First problem:
    So lets say i have 10 small rods with a diameter of 2mm and a length of 3cm.
    they are positioned next to each other, and stand on the ground. Then i have a weight that is applying force to those 10 rods alltogether. SO my question is, how much is the weight of the mass that i need, to make sure that every rods will be applied 50g(0,49N) each.

[Broken]

known values:
    F(on each rods)= 0.49N or 50g
    length of each rod=3cm
    diameter or a rod=2mm

Problem 2:
    Now its exactly the same as situation 1, but the rods are positioned at a distance from each other, lets say this distance is x=2mm
    How much is the weight required for applying each rods the same force of 0.49N?

[Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    g=9,81ms-2
    1000g=1kg=9,81N

3. The attempt at a solution

Problem 1
    For applying each rod 0.49N,
    the mass should be= 10rodsx0.49N= 4,9N which is about 500g
    i wish it would be that easy, but i think theres got to be something that is not right?

Problem 2
    this is actually very confusing, so i cant really know how to go with it, would you guys help me?

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2013 #2
    Seems like problem 1 is correct. Why would spacing the rods make a difference?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted