Can the spacing of rods affect the weight needed for applied force?

In summary, the individual weight of a mass required to produce an applied force of 0.49N (or 50g) to each of 10 small rods with a diameter of 2mm and a length of 3cm is approximately 500g. In problem 2, where the rods are spaced at a distance of 2mm, the weight required to apply the same force to each rod is still 500g. The known values are the gravitational constant of 9.81ms-2 and the conversion of 1000g=1kg=9.81N. The attempt at a solution for problem 2 is not provided, but the person is requesting help.
patehi
Hey guys, i need you help to find the weightof a mass required to produce the same applied force to rods.
(sorry english is not my first language) i will try to explain this with a diagram.

Homework Statement

First problem:
So let's say i have 10 small rods with a diameter of 2mm and a length of 3cm.
they are positioned next to each other, and stand on the ground. Then i have a weight that is applying force to those 10 rods alltogether. SO my question is, how much is the weight of the mass that i need, to make sure that every rods will be applied 50g(0,49N) each.

known values:
F(on each rods)= 0.49N or 50g
length of each rod=3cm
diameter or a rod=2mm

Problem 2:
Now its exactly the same as situation 1, but the rods are positioned at a distance from each other, let's say this distance is x=2mm
How much is the weight required for applying each rods the same force of 0.49N?

Homework Equations

g=9,81ms-2
1000g=1kg=9,81N

The Attempt at a Solution

Problem 1
For applying each rod 0.49N,
the mass should be= 10rodsx0.49N= 4,9N which is about 500g
i wish it would be that easy, but i think there's got to be something that is not right?

Problem 2
this is actually very confusing, so i can't really know how to go with it, would you guys help me?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Seems like problem 1 is correct. Why would spacing the rods make a difference?

1. How do you find the weight of a mass?

To find the weight of a mass, you need to multiply its mass (in kilograms) by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 meters per second squared). This will give you the weight in Newtons.

2. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity on an object. Mass is constant, but weight can change depending on the strength of gravity.

3. Can you find the weight of a mass on any planet?

Yes, you can find the weight of a mass on any planet by using the formula: weight = mass x gravity. The gravity value will be different for each planet, but the mass of the object remains the same.

4. How does the weight of an object change when it is on the moon?

The weight of an object on the moon will be less than its weight on Earth because the moon has less gravity. However, the mass of the object remains the same.

5. Is weight the same as force?

No, weight is not the same as force. Weight is a specific type of force that is caused by the gravitational pull of an object. Other forces, such as friction or air resistance, can also act on an object.