Carl Sagan: Best Book for Intro to His Writing

• Thread starter 20Tauri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation suggests that the person is interested in reading Carl Sagan for the first time and is looking for recommendations. The other person suggests that all of Sagan's books are worth reading, with their personal favorites being Demon Haunted World and Pale Blue Dot. They also mention that Sagan hasn't written much about math and suggests Cosmos and Pale Blue Dot for someone interested in physics and astronomy. They also mention that Sagan wrote a fiction book called Contact which may be a good starting point. Overall, the conversation highlights Sagan's expertise in science and his ability to inspire wonder in readers.
20Tauri
I've never read any Carl Sagan and I'm thinking I might like to. Any suggestions for a first introduction?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've enjoyed every one of his books I've read. It depends what you're interested in, as he's written books about various science related topics. I recommend all of them. My favorites are Demon Haunted World and Pale Blue Dot.

Thanks for the suggestions! As for what I'm interested in, I think something with a physics/astronomy focus. Or math, but I don't think he really does math?

Have you seen his series Cosmos?

Spectacular.

20Tauri said:
Thanks for the suggestions! As for what I'm interested in, I think something with a physics/astronomy focus. Or math, but I don't think he really does math?

Yeah, he hasn't written much about math. Cosmos and Pale Blue Dot are both about astronomy. Parts of 'Cosmos' may be slightly outdated since it was written in the 1980s, but it's still definitely worth a read.

I haven't seen or read Cosmos. It sounds interesting, though. Thanks!

20Tauri said:
I haven't seen or read Cosmos. It sounds interesting, though. Thanks!
The content of the video may be a bit dated, but the sense of wonder that it engenders is what inspired a whole generation of scientists.

BTW, if you want to ease into it, you can read his fiction. He wrote Contact.

Oh cool, thanks.

1. What is the best book to introduce someone to Carl Sagan's writing?

The best book to introduce someone to Carl Sagan's writing is "The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark". It covers a wide range of topics including science, skepticism, and critical thinking, making it a great starting point for readers who are unfamiliar with Sagan's work.

2. What makes this book the best choice?

"The Demon-Haunted World" is a great choice because it showcases Carl Sagan's ability to explain complex scientific concepts in a way that is accessible and engaging for readers of all backgrounds. It also highlights his passion for promoting science and reason in a world filled with pseudoscience and superstition.

3. Is this book suitable for readers with no background in science?

Yes, "The Demon-Haunted World" is suitable for readers with no background in science. Sagan's writing is clear and easy to understand, and he avoids using technical jargon whenever possible. This makes the book accessible to a wide audience, regardless of their level of scientific knowledge.

4. Does this book only cover scientific topics?

No, "The Demon-Haunted World" covers a variety of topics, including science, philosophy, and culture. Sagan uses science as a lens to examine and critique society, making this book relevant and thought-provoking for readers interested in a wide range of subjects.

5. Is this book still relevant today?

Absolutely. Despite being published in 1995, "The Demon-Haunted World" remains incredibly relevant today. Sagan's discussions on critical thinking, the dangers of pseudoscience, and the importance of science in our lives are still as important and timely as ever.