1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

First Carl Sagan book?

1. Mar 22, 2012 #1
    I've never read any Carl Sagan and I'm thinking I might like to. Any suggestions for a first introduction?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2012 #2
    I've enjoyed every one of his books I've read. It depends what you're interested in, as he's written books about various science related topics. I recommend all of them. My favorites are Demon Haunted World and Pale Blue Dot.

4. Mar 22, 2012 #3
    Thanks for the suggestions! As for what I'm interested in, I think something with a physics/astronomy focus. Or math, but I don't think he really does math?

5. Mar 22, 2012 #4

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Have you seen his series Cosmos?

Spectacular.

6. Mar 22, 2012 #5
    Yeah, he hasn't written much about math. Cosmos and Pale Blue Dot are both about astronomy. Parts of 'Cosmos' may be slightly outdated since it was written in the 1980s, but it's still definitely worth a read.

7. Mar 22, 2012 #6
    I haven't seen or read Cosmos. It sounds interesting, though. Thanks!

8. Mar 22, 2012 #7

DaveC426913

Gold Member

The content of the video may be a bit dated, but the sense of wonder that it engenders is what inspired a whole generation of scientists.

9. Mar 22, 2012 #8

DaveC426913

Gold Member

BTW, if you want to ease into it, you can read his fiction. He wrote Contact.

10. Mar 22, 2012 #9
    Oh cool, thanks.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook