First time Pre-Calc student, HW Help with Goose

ajo1023
Homework Statement:
On a wild goose chase, Harry the Canadian Goose flies north for the summer for 150 km then abruptly makes a 55 degree turn W of North to land on a pond. What is Harry's displacement so far on his trip home?
Relevant Equations:
I thought I understood what I was doing but after discussion with others, I'm questioning where to even start. I know I have to draw a graph but I don't know what It should looke like. I'd love some help.
150 km
tan(35)=150/x
Hyp=316.58
I know this isn't right where did I go wrong or did I even start correctly

Answers and Replies

hmmm27
Gold Member
What information do you need to make the calculation, and do you have it ?

ajo1023
What information do you need to make the calculation, and do you have it ?
The only information given in the problem is 150 km and a turn of 55 degrees.

hmmm27
Gold Member
You may want to draw a diagram, for yourself at least.

ajo1023
like this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 90
Homework Statement:: On a wild goose chase, Harry the Canadian Goose flies north for the summer for 150 km then abruptly makes a 55 degree turn W of North to land on a pond. What is Harry's displacement so far on his trip home?
Relevant Equations:: I thought I understood what I was doing but after discussion with others, I'm questioning where to even start. I know I have to draw a graph but I don't know what It should looke like. I'd love some help.
The question as stated seems to be missing important information. Harry goes north for 150 km, and then turns, but how far does he go after the turn? Are you sure you have included all the information given in the problem?

Your drawing that you posted is incorrect. The 55 deg. angle means 55 degrees to the west of North. The angle you show is 55 degrees west of South.

Likes pai535 and sysprog
hmmm27
Gold Member
Actually...
then abruptly makes a 55 degree turn W of North
isn't terribly clear : is this goose making a 55deg left turn from its northerly heading ? or is it turning to N55W .

Also, for clarity's sake, Canada Gooses aren't necessarily Canadian geese.

is this goose making a 55deg left turn from its northerly heading ? or is it turning to N55W
These would be the same direction. The latter means 55° west of north.

Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Suggest that if he's going west of north the turn was smaller than 45 degrees. But I agree I think the turn is 55 degrees and he is traveling more west than north.
I seem to remember compass bearings in degrees always being given in one of these forms: N <deg> E, N <deg> W, S <deg> E, or S <deg> W. IOW, always with 'N' or 'S' first, then the number of degrees east or west of the first direction. So if the goose is flying north and turns left by 55°, the bearing would be N55°W. I.e., 55° west of north.

Suggested for: First time Pre-Calc student, HW Help with Goose

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies