How Should Compass Bearings Be Notated in Navigation Problems?

In summary, Harry the Canadian Goose turned to fly home from a trip of 150 km, flying north and then making a 55 degree turn west of north. After the turn, Harry is traveling more west than north.
ajo1023
Homework Statement
On a wild goose chase, Harry the Canadian Goose flies north for the summer for 150 km then abruptly makes a 55 degree turn W of North to land on a pond. What is Harry's displacement so far on his trip home?
Relevant Equations
I thought I understood what I was doing but after discussion with others, I'm questioning where to even start. I know I have to draw a graph but I don't know what It should looke like. I'd love some help.
150 km
tan(35)=150/x
Hyp=316.58
I know this isn't right where did I go wrong or did I even start correctly

Physics news on Phys.org
What information do you need to make the calculation, and do you have it ?

hmmm27 said:
What information do you need to make the calculation, and do you have it ?
The only information given in the problem is 150 km and a turn of 55 degrees.

You may want to draw a diagram, for yourself at least.

like this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 136
ajo1023 said:
Homework Statement:: On a wild goose chase, Harry the Canadian Goose flies north for the summer for 150 km then abruptly makes a 55 degree turn W of North to land on a pond. What is Harry's displacement so far on his trip home?
Relevant Equations:: I thought I understood what I was doing but after discussion with others, I'm questioning where to even start. I know I have to draw a graph but I don't know what It should looke like. I'd love some help.
The question as stated seems to be missing important information. Harry goes north for 150 km, and then turns, but how far does he go after the turn? Are you sure you have included all the information given in the problem?

Your drawing that you posted is incorrect. The 55 deg. angle means 55 degrees to the west of North. The angle you show is 55 degrees west of South.

Likes pai535 and sysprog
Actually...
then abruptly makes a 55 degree turn W of North
isn't terribly clear : is this goose making a 55deg left turn from its northerly heading ? or is it turning to N55W .

Also, for clarity's sake, Canada Gooses aren't necessarily Canadian geese.

hmmm27 said:
is this goose making a 55deg left turn from its northerly heading ? or is it turning to N55W
These would be the same direction. The latter means 55° west of north.

Office_Shredder said:
Suggest that if he's going west of north the turn was smaller than 45 degrees. But I agree I think the turn is 55 degrees and he is traveling more west than north.
I seem to remember compass bearings in degrees always being given in one of these forms: N <deg> E, N <deg> W, S <deg> E, or S <deg> W. IOW, always with 'N' or 'S' first, then the number of degrees east or west of the first direction. So if the goose is flying north and turns left by 55°, the bearing would be N55°W. I.e., 55° west of north.

• Informative
Likes hmmm27

1. What is Pre-Calculus?

Pre-Calculus is a high school level math course that builds upon algebra and geometry concepts to prepare students for calculus. It covers topics such as functions, trigonometry, and exponential and logarithmic functions.

2. What is the purpose of Pre-Calculus?

The purpose of Pre-Calculus is to provide students with a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills necessary for success in calculus and other advanced math courses.

3. How can Pre-Calculus help me in the future?

Pre-Calculus is a prerequisite for many college majors, particularly in the fields of science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM). It also helps develop critical thinking and analytical skills that are valuable in various careers.

4. What are some common challenges for first-time Pre-Calculus students?

Some common challenges for first-time Pre-Calculus students include understanding and applying new mathematical concepts, managing the workload, and developing problem-solving strategies.

5. How can I get help with my Pre-Calculus homework?

There are several ways to get help with your Pre-Calculus homework. You can ask your teacher for clarification, attend after-school tutoring sessions, join a study group with classmates, or seek online resources such as video tutorials or practice problems.