Floating Iceberg Displacing 723m³ of Water

  • Thread starter Thread starter Felafel
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Floating
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 3K views
Felafel
Messages
170
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I think it should be pretty simple, but my result and that of the book are different:
How much water does an iceberg displace (Its emerged part is ##V_i=100m^3##)


The Attempt at a Solution


knowing the density of sea water is ##d_w=1.03*10^3 kg/m^3## and that of ice ##d_i=0.92*10^3 kg/m^3## i can calculate the volume of the submerged part of the iceberg:

##\frac{d_i}{d_w}=0.89%## meaning the total volume of the iceberg is ##100:11=x:100##
x=909. The submerged part is then 909-100=809m^3. now, since the iceberg floats, its weight and archimedes' force should be equal, then:

##m \cdot g= d_w \cdot g \cdot V_w## and so:
##809 \cdot 92=103 \cdot v_w## ##\Rightarrow## ##V_w=723 m^3##
but according to the book it should be 1050m^3
what's wrong in my reasoning?
thank you in advance
 
Physics news on Phys.org
IMO, the book's answer is incorrect.
I don't follow your ratio method.

What I did was to say the x = submerged volume of the iceberg. Then I wrote an equation setting the weight of the iceberg = to the buoyancy of the iceberg. Solve for x.
 
I don't understand your method. I get two incognitas:

Weight of the iceberg: mass multiplied g, where the mass is volume divided density and x is the submerged volume. Buoyancy= g multiplied the volume of displaced water (which i don't know) multiplied the density of the water

##\frac{x+100}{d_{ice}} \cdot g=V_w \cdot g \cdot d_{w}##
but i don't know both x and V_w
 
Felafel said:
##\frac{d_i}{d_w}=0.89%## meaning the total volume of the iceberg is ##100:11=x:100##
Because it gets subtracted from 1, effectively, the rounding error in truncating it to 0.89 becomes significant. You need to use a couple more digits of precision.
x=909. The submerged part is then 909-100=809m^3.
The method looks ok to here, but as Borek points out this should also be the volume of water displaced. I don't understand what you did from here.
Fwiw, I get 836 cu m.
 
Felafel said:
I don't understand your method. I get two incognitas:

Weight of the iceberg: mass multiplied g, where the mass is volume divided density and x is the submerged volume. Buoyancy= g multiplied the volume of displaced water (which i don't know) multiplied the density of the water

##\frac{x+100}{d_{ice}} \cdot g=V_w \cdot g \cdot d_{w}##
but i don't know both x and V_w


Let x = submerged volume of iceberg

Total volume of iceberg = (x + 100) cu. m.

Mass of iceberg = 920 kg/m^3 * (x + 100) m^3

Since the iceberg is floating, the mass of the iceberg = mass of the displaced water
(this is Archimedes Principle),

Therefore,
mass of displaced water = x * 1030

equating displacement of iceberg to mass of iceberg,

1030*x = 920 * (x + 100)

Solve for x