1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flow in a semi circular pipe

1. Nov 25, 2008 #1
    Hi All:

I am trying to calculate volumetris flow rate in a semi circular pipe with a fixed pressure but seem to have problems. I have calculated in a circular pipe as

Q= (Pi (P1-P2) R^4)/8uL

Can anyone comment on how to calculate for semi circular pipes?

Regards

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2008 #2
    Q= (Pi (P1-P2) R^4)/8uL

First of all: always write down what the symbols mean. Now I have to guess, and that's not helping. If I make a mistake (because I use other symbols because I live on another continent perhaps) we waste time.

Assuming that
    Pi = 3.14 (-)
    P1 and P2 = pressure (Pa)
    R = radius (meter)
    u = Viscosity (Pa*s)
    L = length (meter)

Then Q is the volumetric flowrate, in (m3/s), which seems correct.

The next question is: what is "semicircular"?
    Does it mean that it was a round pipe (like almost all pipes) and that it's now flat on one side? Or did somebody put a bend of 180 degrees in a normal pipe?

The pressure difference in a pipe depends on the wall-roughness, bends, flowrate (turbulent or laminar flow) and type of fluid, to name a few factors.

I don't see enough information here.

I'm sorry if I just made life more difficult, but I cannot simply give you the other formula like that... because I don't know it (I'd need more info!)

4. Nov 26, 2008 #3
    Hi:

I am sorry for not being clear.

Yes you were right in assuming the symbols. The tube was circular but now its flat on one side - so you are right there also. We can assume steady state laminar flow. We are applying a constant pressure and can assume the tube to be smooth. There is no bend in the tube and we can have the answer in terms of "u - viscosity".

Please let me know if you need any other information.

Thanks

5. Apr 20, 2009 #4
    Re: Flow in a semi circular pipe Heat Transfer

Can Anyone please tell me what is the heat transfer coefficient for convection in a semi-circular pipe???

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?