Flow Over a Rotating Bridge CFD

In summary, the speaker is a new member who is trying to simulate an opening of a bascule bridge and study the flow over it in Fluent. They are having issues with creating the geometry and setting up the rotating body in Fluent. They have tried using boolean operations but it is not accurately representing the physical situation. The speaker is looking for suggestions on how to improve their simulation, such as using a mesh interface or a sliding mesh approach.
NazD
Hi everyone,

This is my first post as I am a new member here.

I am trying to simulate an opening of a bascule bridge and study the flow over it in Fluent. I simplified the problem by allowing the bridge to be represented by a flat plate and I used Reynold's Number scaling to scale my dimension and wind velocity.

My objective is to create a 2D, transient, Fluent study in which the "bridge" rotates -at one end - to an angle of approximately 60 degrees.

I am having issues in creating the geometry and setting up the rotating body in fluent.

As seen in the figures below, I created an enclosure with a velocity inlet (left) and a pressure outlet (right). I used boolean to subtract the rotating body from the enclosure and another boolean to subtract the plate from the rotating body. I then used mesh motion in fluent to rotate the rotating body about it's center. The problem I am having is the fact that this geometry does not relate to the physical situation. More specifically, the roadway has to extend further into the rotating body and up to the beginning of the bridge so that the flow does not travel underneath the bridge. But because of the boolean, that portion of the roadway gets removed. I tried to solve this by removing one of the booleans and re-running the simulation, however, the flow would just go through the plate as if it was not even there.

Does anyone have an idea of what I can try?

Thank you for your input

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 450
  • 1a.jpg
    1a.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 391
Engineering news on Phys.org
!

Hello,

As a fellow scientist, I understand the challenges you are facing in creating a realistic simulation of the bascule bridge opening. Based on your description and figures, it seems like your current geometry is not accurately representing the physical situation, leading to incorrect flow behavior.

One solution you could try is to create a separate geometry for the roadway and the bridge, and then use the "mesh interface" feature in Fluent to connect the two geometries. This will allow for a more accurate representation of the flow around the bridge and the roadway without any boolean operations.

Another option is to use a "sliding mesh" approach, where you create a mesh for the stationary part of the bridge and a separate mesh for the rotating part, and then use the "mesh motion" feature to simulate the rotation of the bridge. This approach may require some additional effort in meshing, but it will provide a more accurate representation of the flow.

I hope these suggestions help you in your simulation. Good luck!

1. What is CFD?

CFD stands for Computational Fluid Dynamics. It is a branch of fluid mechanics that uses numerical methods and algorithms to analyze and solve problems related to fluid flow. CFD is commonly used in engineering and scientific research to simulate and study the behavior of fluids in various systems.

2. What is flow over a rotating bridge?

Flow over a rotating bridge refers to the study of fluid flow around a bridge structure that is rotating. This can occur in real-life scenarios such as wind flowing over a rotating bridge or water flow under a rotating drawbridge. CFD simulations can help analyze the effects of this type of flow on the bridge structure and its surroundings.

3. Why is CFD used to study flow over a rotating bridge?

CFD is used to study flow over a rotating bridge because it allows for accurate and detailed analysis of the fluid flow and its effects on the bridge. Traditional experimental methods would be difficult and costly to implement for such a complex and dynamic system. CFD simulations can provide valuable insights and data to engineers and researchers for design and analysis purposes.

4. What are the benefits of studying flow over a rotating bridge using CFD?

Studying flow over a rotating bridge using CFD offers several benefits. Firstly, it allows for a detailed and accurate analysis of the fluid flow, which can help identify potential issues or areas for improvement in the bridge design. Additionally, CFD simulations can be run relatively quickly and at a lower cost compared to experimental methods. This allows for more efficient and cost-effective design and analysis of rotating bridges.

5. What are some challenges of simulating flow over a rotating bridge using CFD?

One of the main challenges of simulating flow over a rotating bridge using CFD is accurately capturing the complex fluid-structure interaction. This requires advanced modeling techniques and high-performance computing resources. Additionally, the accuracy of the simulation results can be affected by the chosen turbulence model and grid resolution. It is important to carefully validate and verify the CFD results to ensure their reliability.