Flow rate of a pipe - calculation

In summary, velocity is directly proportional to the volume per unit of time that flows inside the pipe. The bigger the cross area of the pipe, the slower the flow.
AnneX
Homework Statement
It is not an assignment but a problem I came across while studying for a quiz
Relevant Equations
See below, I inserted it, not sure if it applies to this problem though
81FB4876-899D-47B6-83DF-0A482683B012.jpeg

So, I actually do not know, if the formula given applies to this problem or not, so I wanted to check

Physics news on Phys.org
That formula looks like it is relating the flow rate to the pressure loss; you don't need that for the given problem. Can you write an equation relating flow rate, velocity, and area? That's all you need to do here.

I think that's what you are doing in the last two lines but you should write out the equation.

So, average speed equals volumetric flow rate times area? Just a bit confused, coz it was stated, that I have to find the flow rate

The answer choices are in m/s.

AnneX said:
So, average speed equals volumetric flow rate times area?
No, if you write this out showing the units (m^3/sec and m^2) you will see it cannot be, but maybe you can figure out the right equation.

AnneX said:
So, average speed equals volumetric flow rate times area? Just a bit confused, coz it was stated, that I have to find the flow rate
Velocity is directly proportional to the volume per unit of time that flows inside the pipe.
The bigger the cross area of the pipe, the slower the flow.
Be careful with the conversion of units.

4457D99C-3A28-4DE2-9AC6-8B85BFE69F9E.jpeg

So, I guess that is the equation I was looking for?

Likes Lnewqban
What is the difference between flow and flow rate?

In US English they are used interchangeably, though I think "flowrate" is more correct. If you are translating from another language be careful (I see how you write your "ones" :wink: )

"Volumetric flowrate" is even better. It distinguishes from "mass flowrate" which could be kg/sec, or pounds per hour, or any other MASS/TIME depending on convention for the application.

Likes Lnewqban
Thanks, and yeah the one is just a straight line in the U.S. - right? But the fact that I am using the metric system also kind of gives it away, so ;)

Likes gmax137

1. What is the formula for calculating the flow rate of a pipe?

The formula for calculating the flow rate of a pipe is Q = A x V, where Q is the flow rate in cubic meters per second, A is the cross-sectional area of the pipe in square meters, and V is the average velocity of the fluid in meters per second.

2. How do you measure the cross-sectional area of a pipe?

The cross-sectional area of a pipe can be measured by using a caliper or measuring tape to determine the diameter of the pipe, and then using the formula A = πr², where A is the area and r is the radius of the pipe.

3. What is the average velocity of fluid?

The average velocity of fluid is the average speed at which the fluid is moving through the pipe, and it is typically measured in meters per second. This can be calculated by dividing the flow rate by the cross-sectional area of the pipe.

4. How does the flow rate of a pipe affect the pressure of the fluid?

The flow rate of a pipe is directly proportional to the pressure of the fluid. This means that as the flow rate increases, the pressure of the fluid also increases, and vice versa.

5. What factors can affect the flow rate of a pipe?

The flow rate of a pipe can be affected by several factors, including the diameter and length of the pipe, the viscosity of the fluid, the pressure and temperature of the fluid, and any obstructions or bends in the pipe.