Solving Flow Rate Problem to Increase Pipe Diameter by 5.3

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the factor by which the diameter of an irrigation pipe must be increased in order to achieve a desired flow rate. An incorrect method is initially used, but it is later corrected by using Bernoulli's law and assuming a constant force of the pump. The actual answer is determined to be 1.52, which is different from the previous incorrect solutions.
Andrusko

Homework Statement

An irrigation pipe of diameter 20cm carries water at an average speed of 0.1 m/s. By what factor must the pipe diameter be increased to achieve a flow rate of 1.00 m^3/min?

The answer given is a factor of 5.3.

Homework Equations

Poiseuille's equation

[tex] Q = Av_{avg} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the desired flow rate to m^3/s by multiplying by 1/60. Then using Poiseuille's equation I did a bit of manipulation and came up with:

[tex] Q = \pi r^{2}v_{avg}[/tex]
[tex] Q = \pi(\frac{d}{2})^{2}v_{avg}[/tex]
[tex] d = 2\sqrt{\frac{Q}{\pi v_{avg}}}[/tex]

Substituting in the desired flow rate I get an answer of 0.46, which is a factor of 2.3. Which isn't 5.3.

I actually realize this method is wrong from the get-go, as [tex]v_{avg}[/tex] is a function of diameter. And this is where I am stuck.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably you need to assume something like "The force of pump, which drives the water around, is constant". Then you get, by Bernoulli's law:

[tex]F = PA = \frac{A\rho v^2}{2} = \text{const.}[/tex]

Thus, the new velocity is

[tex]v_2 = \sqrt{\frac{A_1}{A_2}} v_1[/tex]

Okay, I'm just getting more and more confused.

Apparently the solutions were wrong and the actual answer is 1.52. Now I can't get this as an answer no matter what I do with the problem, when I had it coming out before to 5.3.

Can someone else please do the problem and tell me what factor of diameter increase they get? It's kinda urgent, the test on this stuff is in a matter of hours.

1. How do you calculate flow rate?

Flow rate can be calculated by dividing the volume of fluid that passes through a pipe per unit of time. This is represented by the formula Q = V/t, where Q is the flow rate, V is the volume, and t is the time.

2. Why does increasing pipe diameter increase flow rate?

Increasing the pipe diameter decreases the velocity of the fluid, allowing more fluid to flow through the pipe in a given amount of time. This is due to the fact that a larger pipe has a larger cross-sectional area, reducing the resistance to flow.

3. How do you determine the necessary increase in pipe diameter to achieve a 5.3 increase in flow rate?

To determine the necessary increase in pipe diameter, you can use the following formula: D2 = (Q2/Q1)^0.5 * D1, where D1 is the original pipe diameter, Q1 is the original flow rate, D2 is the new pipe diameter, and Q2 is the desired flow rate, in this case, a 5.3% increase from Q1.

4. What are the potential benefits of increasing pipe diameter to improve flow rate?

Increasing pipe diameter can result in a higher flow rate, which can improve efficiency and reduce the risk of clogging or blockages. It can also help to decrease pressure and reduce energy consumption.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to increasing pipe diameter?

Potential drawbacks of increasing pipe diameter include increased cost and space requirements, as well as potential changes in the behavior of the fluid flow. It is important to carefully consider the specific needs and limitations of a system before making any changes to pipe diameter.