1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flow rate problem

1. Sep 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

An irrigation pipe of diameter 20cm carries water at an average speed of 0.1 m/s. By what factor must the pipe diameter be increased to achieve a flow rate of 1.00 m^3/min?

The answer given is a factor of 5.3.

2. Relevant equations

Poiseuille's equation

[tex] Q = Av_{avg} [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I converted the desired flow rate to m^3/s by multiplying by 1/60. Then using Poiseuille's equation I did a bit of manipulation and came up with:

[tex] Q = \pi r^{2}v_{avg}[/tex]
    [tex] Q = \pi(\frac{d}{2})^{2}v_{avg}[/tex]
    [tex] d = 2\sqrt{\frac{Q}{\pi v_{avg}}}[/tex]

Substituting in the desired flow rate I get an answer of 0.46, which is a factor of 2.3. Which isn't 5.3.

I actually realize this method is wrong from the get-go, as [tex]v_{avg}[/tex] is a function of diameter. And this is where I am stuck.

Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2008 #2
    Probably you need to assume something like "The force of pump, which drives the water around, is constant". Then you get, by Bernoulli's law:

[tex]F = PA = \frac{A\rho v^2}{2} = \text{const.}[/tex]

Thus, the new velocity is

[tex]v_2 = \sqrt{\frac{A_1}{A_2}} v_1[/tex]
  4. Sep 25, 2008 #3
    Okay, I'm just getting more and more confused.

Apparently the solutions were wrong and the actual answer is 1.52. Now I can't get this as an answer no matter what I do with the problem, when I had it coming out before to 5.3.

Can someone else please do the problem and tell me what factor of diameter increase they get? It's kinda urgent, the test on this stuff is in a matter of hours.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?