Fluid mechanics-Total energy line of static system

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
5mmgridbok
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
I have two reservoirs, connected by two pipes. The first reservoir is higher in elevation than the second. If the system is full of static water, what would the total energy line look like?

Since the velocity of the flow through the system is 0, would the total energy line just be a straight line emerging from the water level of the higher reservoir and continuing parallel to the ground?
Or would it slant down due to the difference in elevation, following the slanting of the pipes? How would it end at the lower reservoir?

Thank you
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You must show some work answering your own questions. PF is not a HW oracle.
 
I'm sorry, I was trying to explain the extent of my reasoning in the second paragraph.
I will add more.

This is the Bernoulli equation:

z + (u^2/2g) + (P/pg) = Constant.
The velocity (u) being 0 simply follows on from my attempt at answering my own question.

Would the pressure have any effect?