1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fluid mechanics-Total energy line of static system

1. Jan 21, 2014 #1
    I have two reservoirs, connected by two pipes. The first reservoir is higher in elevation than the second. If the system is full of static water, what would the total energy line look like?

Since the velocity of the flow through the system is 0, would the total energy line just be a straight line emerging from the water level of the higher reservoir and continuing parallel to the ground?
    Or would it slant down due to the difference in elevation, following the slanting of the pipes? How would it end at the lower reservoir?

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 21, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You must show some work answering your own questions. PF is not a HW oracle.

4. Jan 21, 2014 #3
    I'm sorry, I was trying to explain the extent of my reasoning in the second paragraph.
    I will add more.

This is the Bernoulli equation:

z + (u^2/2g) + (P/pg) = Constant.
    The velocity (u) being 0 simply follows on from my attempt at answering my own question.

Would the pressure have any effect?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted