Fluids- Sphere dropped in ocean

In summary, a solid aluminum sphere is dropped into the ocean and its acceleration is calculated at the point of complete submersion. The acceleration changes as the sphere drops deeper due to the change in weight caused by the change in pressure with depth.
allykat

Homework Statement

A solid sphere of aluminum (density 2.7 g/cm^3) is gently dropped into a deep ocean. (The density of ocean water is approximately 1.03 g/cm^3.) Calculate the sphere's acceleration at the point where it is completely submerged into the ocean. As the sphere drops deeper, does the acceleration increase or decrease compared to the acceleration beneath the surface?

Homework Equations

Knowing that density = ρfVfg and that mg is greater that this, the Fnet equation becomes
Fnet= mg-ρfVfg where the volume is also the volume displaced by the sphere

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I attempted to find the ratio of Wapp/Wactual which is Vsphere(ρsphere-ρwater)g/Vsphere(ρsphere)g so I could find a relation between the two such that I could find m in the Fnet equation, but I couldn't get really far with this approach. I know the acceleration changes though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Although your attempt at solution was apparently unsuccessful, it would still be helpful to post your calculations. There may be some error in calculation or logic which has escaped your attention, but which might be readily apparent to fresh eyes.

So I did Wapp/ Wactual= Vsphere(ρsphere-ρfluid)g/ (Vsphereρsphereg)= V(2.7-1.03)g/2.7Vg=
0.6185, but I do not know what to do with this result.

allykat said:
So I did Wapp/ Wactual= Vsphere(ρsphere-ρfluid)g/ (Vsphereρsphereg)= V(2.7-1.03)g/2.7Vg=0.6185, but I do not know what to do with this result.
You have an object of known mass. In air, its weight would lead to a certain well-known acceleration. You have found the weight to have been reduced by a certain fraction. What will that do to the acceleration?
I know the acceleration changes though.
Because?

Well, I'm not given the weight, only the densities, but I tried to calculate a relation by canceling out the volumes and g. The acceleration should change because the pressure changes with depth.

allykat said:
Well, I'm not given the weight, only the densities, but I tried to calculate a relation by canceling out the volumes and g.
I should have written Suppose you have an object of known mass...
If the mass stays the same but the weight is reduced by a factor, what will that do to the acceleration?
The acceleration should change because the pressure changes with depth.
Pressure is equal all around the sphere, so cancels out. You are to assume the density of the water is constant. Yet there is a reason the acceleration will change.

Related to Fluids- Sphere dropped in ocean

1. How does the shape of the sphere affect its motion when dropped in the ocean?

The shape of the sphere does not affect its motion when dropped in the ocean. The sphere will experience the same amount of resistance and buoyancy regardless of its shape.

2. What factors determine the rate of sinking for a sphere dropped in the ocean?

The rate of sinking for a sphere dropped in the ocean is determined by its density, size, and the density of the surrounding fluid. A denser sphere will sink faster, while a larger sphere will experience more resistance and sink slower.

3. Is there a maximum depth that a sphere can sink in the ocean?

There is no maximum depth that a sphere can sink in the ocean. As the sphere sinks deeper, the pressure exerted by the surrounding water will increase, which will eventually cause the sphere to reach a point where it will stop sinking and remain suspended in the water.

4. How does the temperature of the ocean affect the behavior of a sphere dropped in it?

The temperature of the ocean can affect the behavior of a sphere dropped in it in several ways. For example, colder water is more dense, so a sphere will sink faster in colder water compared to warmer water. Additionally, colder water can also affect the buoyancy of a sphere, causing it to sink or float differently.

5. What happens to the sphere when it reaches the bottom of the ocean?

When the sphere reaches the bottom of the ocean, it will come to a stop due to the resistance and friction of the ocean floor. Depending on the material and shape of the sphere, it may also roll or tumble along the ocean floor until it reaches a stable position.