Magnetic Flux Density in a Circular Loop

In summary, the conversation discusses how the magnetic flux density at the centre of a circular loop changes when the same current is passed through a loop with 2 turns instead of 1. Using the equation B = (mu0 * N*I)/2r, it is determined that the flux density will change by a factor of 4, as the number of turns doubles and the radius halves.
leena19

Homework Statement

A current flows in a circular loop consisting of a single turn.If the same wire is bent into a circular loop of 2 turns and the same current is passed through the loop,the magnetic flux density at the centre will change by a factor of ...?
(ans: 4 )

Relevant equations

B = (mu0 * N*I)/2r

The attempt at a solution

For the 1st loop,
B = (mu0 *I)/2r

To find B' after bending,
the length of the wire remains unchanged = 2*pi*r
so to form 2 circular loops the radius has to be halved for each loop?
which makes
B' = (mu0 * N*I)/(2r/2)
B' = (mu0 * 2*I)/(r) ?

so change in flux = B-B'/B
= 3
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
flux density at the centre will change by a factor of ...?
Chang by factor means you have to take the ratio, not the difference.
In the problem n will be doubled and r reduces to half.

Oh I get it now.
Thank you very much!

What is magnetic flux density in a circular loop?

Magnetic flux density, also known as magnetic field strength, is a measure of the strength of the magnetic field within a circular loop. It is represented by the symbol B and is measured in units of Tesla (T).

How is magnetic flux density calculated in a circular loop?

The magnetic flux density in a circular loop can be calculated using the formula B = μ0I/2r, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the electric current flowing through the loop, and r is the radius of the loop.

How does the shape and size of a circular loop affect magnetic flux density?

The magnetic flux density in a circular loop is directly proportional to the electric current flowing through the loop. As the loop's radius increases, the magnetic flux density decreases, while an increase in the electric current leads to an increase in the magnetic flux density.

What is the relationship between magnetic flux density and magnetic field lines in a circular loop?

Magnetic field lines are a visual representation of the direction and strength of the magnetic field in a circular loop. The closer the field lines are together, the stronger the magnetic flux density in that area. Conversely, the further apart the field lines are, the weaker the magnetic flux density.

How is magnetic flux density used in practical applications?

Magnetic flux density plays a crucial role in various practical applications, such as in the design of electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in medical imaging technologies like MRI machines and in particle accelerators. Additionally, it is used in navigation systems, such as compasses and GPS devices.