How do I calculate electric flux for a rotated square in a uniform electric field?

• Thread starter xcvxcvvc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flux
In summary, the electric flux for a square submerged in a uniform electric field of 25kN/C parallel to the z-axis is 63 Nm^2/C. When the square is rotated 40 degrees about the x-axis, the flux decreases to 48 Nm^2/C due to the relationship with the angle. If the square is moved again and its normal is parallel to the x-axis, no flux can pass through it.
xcvxcvvc
A uniform electric field of 25kN/C is directed parallel to the z-axis. A square of sides 5.0 cm is submersed in this field and initially located in the xy-plane. (a) Determine the electric flux for the square. (b) Repeat if the square is rotated 40.0 degrees about the x-axis. (c) Repeat if the square is moved again and this time its normal is parallel to the x-axis.

(a) 25*10^3 N/C * (5.0*10^-2 m)^2 = 62.5 = 63 Nm^2/C (this is right)

I don't understand how to set up (b) or (c). I'm trying to visualize rotating the square about the x-axis, but doesn't that make only four very slender slices of the square come in contact with the z-axis directed field?

answers:
1. a. 63 N m2/C
b. 48 N m2/C
c. 0

Physics news on Phys.org
For part b), you can probably see there's a relationship involving the angle. As the square is rotated throughout 90 degrees, the flux that passes through the square gradually decreases to 0. Thus, the trigonometric function you're looking for is cos:

[tex]63\cos{40} = 48[/tex]

For c), the only situation in which the normal of the square will be parallel to the x-axis is when it has been rotated 90 degrees about the y-axis. Thus it no longer lies in the xy plane and no flux can pass through it.

LOL i thought the surface was a cube and i became really confused. Thanks, you helped. I completely understand it now.

Related to How do I calculate electric flux for a rotated square in a uniform electric field?

1. How do I calculate the electric flux for a rotated square in a uniform electric field?

The electric flux for a rotated square in a uniform electric field can be calculated by using the formula Φ = E x A x cosθ, where E is the magnitude of the electric field, A is the area of the square, and θ is the angle between the electric field and the normal vector of the square.

2. What is the angle θ in the formula for calculating electric flux?

The angle θ is the angle between the electric field and the normal vector of the square. It is measured in radians or degrees, depending on the unit of the electric field.

3. Do I need to know the magnitude of the electric field for calculating electric flux?

Yes, the magnitude of the electric field is a crucial component in calculating electric flux. It represents the strength of the electric field and is measured in units of Newtons per Coulomb (N/C).

4. Can I use the same formula for calculating electric flux for any shape in a uniform electric field?

The formula Φ = E x A x cosθ can be used for calculating electric flux for any shape in a uniform electric field, as long as the shape is perpendicular to the electric field.

5. Is there a different formula for calculating electric flux for a non-perpendicular shape in a uniform electric field?

Yes, for non-perpendicular shapes in a uniform electric field, the formula Φ = E x A x cosθ may not be applicable. Instead, one can use the formula Φ = E x A x cosθ x cosϕ, where ϕ is the angle between the electric field and the surface area vector of the shape.