1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Flux through Cube

1. Apr 27, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A cube has lengths L.

E(x) = {a(x+L)2i - (ayL)j where a is constant

Find the total Flux through the cube.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

i know the flux is 0 through the z = 0 and z = L planes but the other sides and the top & bottom i am unsure how to find.

I am confused about the x,y, & L variables. It seems that x & y = L. When I integrae over the area am i doing a double integral for x & y from 0 to L
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2010 #2

Science Advisor

There is NO "L variable", L is a constant, not a variable.

If you are integrating the flux over the top and bottom, yes, you are integrating x and y from 0 to L.
    In particular, [/itex]\vec{n}dS[/itex] for the top and bottom are [itex]\vec{k}dxdy[/itex] and [itex]-\vec{k}dxdy[/itex] respectively. Since your given function has no [itex]\vec{k}[/itex] component, yes, the flux through those is 0.

Now consider the face x= 0, in the yz-plane. A unit (outward) normal is [itex]-\vec{j}[/itex]
    and [itex]\vec{n}dS= -\vec{j}dydz[/itex].

[itex]E\cdot \vec{n}dS= -(x+ L) dydz[/itex] but we are in the face x= 0 so that is just [itex]-Ldy dz[/itex] and the flux is [itex]\int_{y=0}^L\int_{z=0}^L -L dy dz[/itex] which is just -L times the area of the face, [itex]-L^3[/itex]

On the face x= L, everything is the same except that the outward normal is [itex]\vec{k}[/itex] rather than [itex]-\vec{k}[/itex] and x+ L is now 2L. The flux through that face is [itex]\int_{y= 0}^L \int_{z= 0}^L 2L dydz[/itex] which is 2L times the area of the face, [itex]2L(L^2)= 2L^3[/itex].

On the face y= 0, in the xz-plane an (outward) normal is [itex]-\vec{j}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{n}dS=-\vec{j}dxdz[/itex].

[itex]E\cdot\vec{n}dS= -a(0)L(-1) dxdz= 0[/itex] so the flux through that face is 0.

Finally, on y= 1, the (outward) normal is [itex]\vec{j}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{n}dS= \vec{j}dxdz[/itex].

[itex]E\cdot\vec{n}dS= a(L)(L) dxdz[/itex] so the flux through that face is [itex]\int_0^L\int_0^L aL^2 dxdz[/itex] which is [itex]aL^2[/itex] times the area of the face: [itex](aL^2)(L^2)= aL^4[/itex].

The flux through the entire region is the sum of those.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook