For those who have this textbook.

• Thread starter DannyPhysika
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Textbook
In summary, a student is confused about why the forces of friction are not considered in certain problems in a physics textbook. They provide a link to the problem and express confusion about the coefficients being labeled as "m" instead of "μ." Another person points out the mistake and clarifies that the coefficients are actually labeled as μ in the book.
DannyPhysika

Homework Statement

In Physics for Scientists and Engineers Volume 1 Eighth Edition (Serway, Jewett)

Number 55. in Chapter 5, I checked the answer key and would like to know why they don't consider the forces of friction in a), b), c), d), and e)? This confuses me. Thank you.

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

The solutions for f and g I got right.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't have the book, what is the actual question?

Many times friction is ignored in order to explain concepts with simplicity.

QuarkCharmer said:
I don't have the book, what is the actual question?

Many times friction is ignored in order to explain concepts with simplicity.

I found it online:

http://www.cramster.com/answers-sep-10/physics/blocks-masses-m1-m2-nbsptwo-blocks-masses-m1-m2-table_950775.aspx

The answer key gives:

b) F, c) F - P, d) P, e) m1: F - P = m1a; m2: P = m2a

I want to add that obviously in the book the coefficients are labeled "mu"1 and 2

Last edited by a moderator:
DannyPhysika said:
Number 55. in Chapter 5, I checked the answer key and would like to know why they don't consider the forces of friction in a), b), c), d), and e)? This confuses me.
Seems just wrong to me.

Does the book really say: "The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block of mass m1 and the table is m1, and that between the block of mass m2 and the table is m2." That makes no sense! (Maybe μ1 and μ2?)

DannyPhysika said:
I want to add that obviously in the book the coefficients are labeled "mu"1 and 2
That's better.

Doc Al said:
Seems just wrong to me.

Does the book really say: "The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block of mass m1 and the table is m1, and that between the block of mass m2 and the table is m2." That makes no sense! (Maybe μ1 and μ2?)

Yeah it's actually labeled μ in the book

What is the textbook about?

The textbook covers a variety of topics related to the subject, including key concepts, theories, and real-world applications.

Who is the author of the textbook?

The author of the textbook is typically listed on the cover or title page. If not, you can check the publisher's website or do a quick online search to find the author's name.

Is the textbook required for the course?

This will depend on the specific course and professor. It is best to check the course syllabus or ask your professor directly if the textbook is required for the class.

Are there any online resources or supplementary materials for the textbook?

Many textbooks offer additional resources such as study guides, practice quizzes, and lecture slides that can be accessed online. Check the textbook's publisher website or ask your professor for more information.

Can I purchase a digital version of the textbook?

Some textbooks are available in digital format, either through the publisher or through online retailers. Check with your professor to see if a digital version is acceptable for the course.