Force acting on the area of the cylinder due to gas

In summary, the conversation discusses using the ideal gas law formula to solve a problem involving the volume of a cylinder. The correct answer should have incorporated the Boltzmann's constant and the difference between moles and molecules in the equation. After some guidance, the individual was able to figure out the correct solution.
youmei0426

Homework Statement

upload_2018-12-27_18-52-13.png

Homework Equations

pV=nRT
upload_2018-12-27_18-53-2.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the volume of the cylinder, which is Al. So I plugged this into the ideal gas law formula, and got answer B. However, the correct answer should be D. I see the Boltzmann's constant there in the equation, and I do know an equation which contains the constant, but I'm not sure how to incorporate it into the ideal gas law.. Thanks for your help in advance!

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-27_18-52-13.png
    upload_2018-12-27_18-52-13.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 980
  • upload_2018-12-27_18-53-2.png
    upload_2018-12-27_18-53-2.png
    1.1 KB · Views: 706
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you somehow relate ##P## with the kinetic energy of the gas molecules per unit volume ##E_{\text{unit vol.}}##?

First, you need a Force, not a pressure. What you did, I think, was $$p = nRT/V = \frac {nRT} {A l}$$ but this is a pressure. You have to multiply by the area, so $$F = \frac {nRT} {l}$$.

Second: in the perfect gas law you have ##n## which is the number of moles, but the exercise gives you ##N## which is number of molecules! And Remember that ##k_B = \frac R N_a## where ##N_a## is the Avogadro constant

dRic2 said:
First, you need a Force, not a pressure. What you did, I think, was $$p = nRT/V = \frac {nRT} {A l}$$ but this is a pressure. You have to multiply by the area, so $$F = \frac {nRT} {l}$$.

Second: in the perfect gas law you have ##n## which is the number of moles, but the exercise gives you ##N## which is number of molecules! And Remember that ##k_B = \frac R N_a## where ##N_a## is the Avogadro constant
Thank you so much! I figured it out :)

Related to Force acting on the area of the cylinder due to gas

1. What is the force acting on the area of a cylinder due to gas?

The force acting on the area of a cylinder due to gas is known as the gas pressure. This pressure is caused by the collisions of gas molecules with the walls of the cylinder and is exerted in all directions.

2. How is the force calculated?

The force acting on the area of a cylinder due to gas can be calculated using the formula F = P * A, where F is the force, P is the pressure, and A is the area of the cylinder. The pressure can be measured in units such as Pascals (Pa) or Newtons per square meter (N/m^2).

3. What factors can affect the force acting on the area of a cylinder due to gas?

Several factors can affect the force acting on the area of a cylinder due to gas. These include the number of gas molecules, temperature, and volume of the gas. As these factors change, the pressure and force will also change.

4. How does the force acting on the area of a cylinder due to gas impact the cylinder?

The force acting on the area of a cylinder due to gas can cause the cylinder to expand or contract, depending on the direction of the force. If the force is greater than the external forces on the cylinder, it may cause the cylinder to burst.

5. Can the force acting on the area of a cylinder due to gas be measured?

Yes, the force acting on the area of a cylinder due to gas can be measured using specialized equipment such as a pressure gauge. This allows scientists to accurately measure and monitor the pressure and force within a cylinder.