Force and Coefficient of Friction Problem

In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics question regarding the force of friction and the coefficient of kinetic friction. The question involves a girl pushing a light snow shovel at a uniform velocity and the handle being inclined at 55 degrees to the horizontal. The conversation discusses how to obtain the answer for the force of friction using the equation Fhorizontal = cos55 * 100 = 58 N. It also addresses finding the normal force and the confusion around assuming the shovel is massless. The summary concludes with a question about the horizontal and vertical components of force.
bijanv
Okay I'm really stumped on this question and I would be really glad if someone can take me step by step on how to do this question... I have the answer but I have no clue how to obtain it!

The Question is:
A girl pushes a light snow shovel at a uniform velocity across a sidewalk. If the handle of the shovel is inclined at 55 degrees to the horizontal and she pushes along the handle with a force of 100 N, what is the force of friction? What is the coefficient of kinetic friction?

I obtained the answer for the force of friction by just using Fhorizontal = cos55 * 100 = 58 N (answer is 57 N)

Now.. to find the coefficient.. we need to know two things right? The force of friction which we have and the normal force. But how can we know what the normal force is if we are not given mass?

However I'm not sure if that is the correct way to do it... if someone could explain how to get both answers step-by-step it would be great thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Assume a massless shovel (it is, after all, described as light), what would the normal force be?

normal force would be 0 then as there is no object for there to be a gravitational force on? but that would make everything (being coefficient of friction and force of friction.. according to the equation Ffriction = mew * Fnormal) equal to 0

Normal force would be the ground acting against the shovel, else the shovel would push the ground down.

yup but in this case, the normal force is = to the force of gravity on the shovel

if we assume if the shovel is massless... it means there's no force of gravity acting on it and therefore no normal force... correct?

i'm really confused.. so do we have to find the vertical force that she is exerting on the handle?

bijanv said:
yup but in this case, the normal force is = to the force of gravity on the shovel
NO, it's not- that's the whole point!

if we assume if the shovel is massless... it means there's no force of gravity acting on it and therefore no normal force... correct?
i'm really confused.. so do we have to find the vertical force that she is exerting on the handle?

You were told the girl pushed the shovel "with a force of 100 N". You correctly (approximately) calculated the horizontal component of force to be "cos55 * 100 = 58 N (answer is 57 N)". What do you think happened to the rest of the force? Where there is a "horizontal component", don't you thing there is likely to be a "vertical component"?

By the way, how did you get "58 N"? What exactly did your calculator say?

Related to Force and Coefficient of Friction Problem

What is the definition of force?

Force is a physical quantity that can cause an object to accelerate or change its state of motion. It is typically measured in units of newtons (N) and is represented by the symbol F.

What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless constant that represents the amount of resistance between two surfaces in contact with each other. It is denoted by the symbol μ and is used to calculate the force of friction between two objects.

How does the coefficient of friction affect the force of friction?

The coefficient of friction directly affects the force of friction. A higher coefficient of friction means that there is more resistance between two surfaces, resulting in a higher force of friction. Conversely, a lower coefficient of friction means less resistance and thus a lower force of friction.

What factors can affect the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction can be affected by several factors, including the nature of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants or contaminants. It can also vary depending on the type of motion between the two surfaces (e.g., static or kinetic).

How is the coefficient of friction calculated in a problem involving forces?

To calculate the coefficient of friction in a problem involving forces, the force of friction must first be determined using the formula F = μN, where N is the normal force between the two surfaces. Once the force of friction is known, the coefficient of friction can be calculated by dividing the force of friction by the normal force: μ = F/N.