• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Force and Energy Question

1. Homework Statement

"You are investigating an accident where a 1500 kg car rolls down a hill with a slope of 8 degrees, a distance of 150 m (measured along the road) and hit a parked van. How fast was the car moving when it hit the van, assuming little friction?"

2. Homework Equations

If I knew all of the equations, I would have most likely figured out the problem.
Force= mass x acceleration
K-work=velocity x impulse
K-work= Force x distance

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Now what I did so far was calculated the force of gravity pushing down on the car which is mass x gravity acceleration constant which I ended up getting 14,700 N. I then figured out using the 8 degrees and the force I just calculated, the force of the hypotenuse of the right angle I created. When I figured that all out I got some huge acceleration. Can someone please help me with this? I feel like it's so simple.

Doc Al

Mentor
Now what I did so far was calculated the force of gravity pushing down on the car which is mass x gravity acceleration constant which I ended up getting 14,700 N.
Good.

I then figured out using the 8 degrees and the force I just calculated, the force of the hypotenuse of the right angle I created. When I figured that all out I got some huge acceleration.
Show exactly what you did.

If the car fell off a cliff, the most its acceleration could be is equal to g. When it rolls down an incline, the acceleration will be less. So if you got a huge acceleration, you must have made a mistake somewhere.