1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Force and Energy Question

Tags:
  1. Sep 25, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

"You are investigating an accident where a 1500 kg car rolls down a hill with a slope of 8 degrees, a distance of 150 m (measured along the road) and hit a parked van. How fast was the car moving when it hit the van, assuming little friction?"

2. Relevant equations

If I knew all of the equations, I would have most likely figured out the problem.
    Force= mass x acceleration
    K-work=velocity x impulse
    K-work= Force x distance

3. The attempt at a solution

Now what I did so far was calculated the force of gravity pushing down on the car which is mass x gravity acceleration constant which I ended up getting 14,700 N. I then figured out using the 8 degrees and the force I just calculated, the force of the hypotenuse of the right angle I created. When I figured that all out I got some huge acceleration. Can someone please help me with this? I feel like it's so simple.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2014 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Good.

Show exactly what you did.

If the car fell off a cliff, the most its acceleration could be is equal to g. When it rolls down an incline, the acceleration will be less. So if you got a huge acceleration, you must have made a mistake somewhere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted