What Determines the Tension in the String Connecting Two Blocks?

However, there may have been a mistake in plugging in the variables or in the calculations. Double check your work to see if you can find the error. If not, try solving the equations again to see if you get the same result.
MFlood7356
1. In Fig. 6-50, block 1 of mass 4.0 kg and block 2 of mass 6.6 kg are connected by a string of negligible mass and are initially held in place. Block 2 is on a frictionless surface tilted at θ = 38o. The coefficient of kinetic friction between block 1 and the horizontal surface is 0.18. The pulley has negligible mass and friction. Once they are released, the blocks move. What then is the tension in the string?

2. Block 1 force diagram:
Fnet = m1a
T - friction = m1a
T - (Uk*m1*g) = m1a
[T - Uk*m1*g] / m1 = a

Fnet = m2a
T - mgsinθ = m2a
{T - mgsinθ} / m2 = a

3. I then set the equations equal to each other to get [T - Uk*m1*g] / m1 = {T - mgsinθ} / m2 I went through and plugged the variables in and solved for T and I got 43N but I guess it's wrong. Can someone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you!The tension in the string is 43 N. The equation you set up to solve for T is correct. You have solved it correctly.

What is the difference between force and motion?

Force refers to a push or pull on an object, while motion refers to the movement of an object in response to a force.

What are the three laws of motion?

The three laws of motion were developed by Sir Isaac Newton and state that: 1) an object at rest will stay at rest and an object in motion will stay in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an unbalanced force, 2) the force acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration, and 3) for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

How does force affect motion?

Force can cause a change in an object's motion, either by speeding it up, slowing it down, or changing its direction.

What is the relationship between mass and motion?

The greater an object's mass, the more force is needed to cause a change in its motion. This is known as the principle of inertia.

What is friction and how does it affect motion?

Friction is a force that resists motion and occurs when two surfaces rub against each other. It can slow down or stop the motion of an object, and the amount of friction depends on the type of surface and the force pushing the two surfaces together.