Calculating Force from Two Circular Rings | Exam Prep

In summary, to calculate the force between two circular rings, use the formula F = (G*m1*m2)/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the rings, and r is the distance between their centers. The gravitational constant, denoted by G, is approximately 6.674 x 10^-11 m^3/kg*s^2 and is used to calculate the force of gravity between objects. The force between two rings can be zero if the distance between their centers is infinite. The mass of the rings directly affects the force between them, with greater masses resulting in a greater force. While the force decreases as the distance between the rings increases, there is no specific
dangish
Consider two circular rings, each of radius R = 25.0 cm ,
separated by 0.10 cm as shown. Each ring carries a current
I = 3.0 A. What is the magnitude of the force exerted on one ring by
the other ring?

is there any way to do this without integrating around the whole circle??

I have an exam tomorrow and some advice would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
i tried using B=u0I/2Pi*r to get the magnetic field, then using F = ILxB to get force on one ring to another, but I don't think Its right

1. How do you calculate the force between two circular rings?

To calculate the force between two circular rings, you will need to use the formula F = (G*m1*m2)/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two rings, and r is the distance between the centers of the rings.

2. What is the gravitational constant?

The gravitational constant, denoted by G, is a fundamental constant in physics that is used to calculate the force of gravity between two objects. Its value is approximately 6.674 x 10^-11 m^3/kg*s^2.

3. Can the force between two circular rings ever be zero?

Yes, the force between two circular rings can be zero if the distance between their centers is infinite. In this case, the gravitational force becomes negligible and can be considered zero.

4. How does the mass of the rings affect the force between them?

The force between two circular rings is directly proportional to the product of their masses. This means that the greater the masses of the rings, the greater the force between them will be.

5. Is there a limit to the distance at which the force between two circular rings becomes negligible?

As the distance between two circular rings increases, the force between them decreases. However, there is no specific distance at which the force becomes negligible, as it will always exist to some degree.