Force exerted on the palm of your hand by a beam of light

In summary, the conversation discusses the force exerted on the palm of one's hand by a 1.0W flashlight, considering two scenarios where the light is either absorbed or reflected. The conversation also touches on calculating the mass of a particle that would exert the same force on Earth's surface. The formula E = pc is used to solve the first scenario, but there is confusion regarding the momentum change in the second scenario. It is explained that the change in momentum is twice the amount due to the opposite direction of the momentum. The importance of consistency in using conventions for vector quantities is also emphasized.
Eric Diaz
Compute the force exerted on the palm of you hand by the beam from a 1.0W flashlight. (a) if your hand absorbs the light, and (b) if the light reflects from your hand.

What would the mass of the particle that exerts that same force in each case would be if you hold it at Earth's surface?

On the problem I used E = pc to solve part (a). My lack of understanding lies in part (b). Where I am told that the momentum change is twice the amount. I do not understand.

[P][/total] = [P][/1] + [P][/2]

Shouldn't [P][/1] cancel with [P][/2] since the momentum of [P][/2] is moving in the opposite direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Eric Diaz said:
Shouldn't [P][/1] cancel with [P][/2] since the momentum of [P][/2] is moving in the opposite direction?

The momentum was P and changed to be -P. Thus, the change in momentum was the change from +P to -P and that's 2P... The difference between 3 and -3 is 6.

Likes Eric Diaz
Nugatory said:
The momentum was P and changed to be -P. Thus, the change in momentum was the change from +P to -P and that's 2P... The difference between 3 and -3 is 6.
So i should look at this as +P - (-P) = 2P ?

Eric Diaz said:
So i should look at this as +P - (-P) = 2P ?
Yes.

Footnote:
Or you could look at it as (-P) - P = -2P, depending on whether you're defining the towards-your-hand direction to be the positive direction or the negative direction. Either way, the change in momentum is going to be the final momentum minus the initial momentum. The important thing with vector quantities like forces, momenta, velocities is that whatever convention you use, you use it consistently. Note that in this problem the force exerted on (and acceleration and resulting velocity of) your hand will have a positive sign under one convention and a negative sign under the other, but either way it will point from the palm to the back of your hand.

Likes Eric Diaz
Nugatory said:
or (-P) - P = -2P, depending on whether you're defining the towards-your-hand direction to be the positive direction or the negative direction, but either way, the change in momentum is going to be the final momentum minus the initial momentum. The important thing with vector quantities like forces, momenta, velocities is that whatever convention you use, you use it consistently.
THANK YOU! I get it now.

1. What is the force exerted on the palm of your hand by a beam of light?

The force exerted on the palm of your hand by a beam of light is extremely small and is known as radiation pressure. It is caused by the transfer of momentum from the photons in the beam to the molecules in your hand.

2. How is the force exerted by a beam of light measured?

The force exerted by a beam of light can be measured using specialized instruments such as optical tweezers or a radiometer. These instruments use the principles of light scattering and thermal effects to measure the force.

3. Can the force exerted by a beam of light be felt by the human hand?

No, the force exerted by a beam of light is so small that it cannot be felt by the human hand. However, it can be measured using sensitive instruments.

4. How does the force exerted by a beam of light compare to other forces?

The force exerted by a beam of light is much smaller than other forces, such as gravity or electromagnetism. It is only significant at the microscopic level and is often overshadowed by other forces in everyday life.

5. Can the force exerted by a beam of light be manipulated?

Yes, the force exerted by a beam of light can be manipulated by changing the properties of the beam, such as its intensity, polarization, or wavelength. This is the basis for technologies such as optical trapping and optical tweezers, which use light to manipulate microscopic objects.