Why Does the Force Meter Show Different Readings in Similar Situations?

• Thread starter Iamconfused123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acceleration
Iamconfused123
Homework Statement
I don't understand why is the soultion on 4th and last picture the way it is
Relevant Equations
F=ma
phy.png

I don't get how is the 4th case different from the 1st case? In both cases the weights are hanging and are not accelerating, but somehow in 4th case the force meter shows 0N while in 1st shows 10N.
All other meters show 10N but the last one.
Now, I don't know hot to solve last one. I tried treating it like pulley problem with two weights. Tried to calculate the acceleration, a=((M-m)/(M+m))*g, and then M(4kg)*a(6)=F=24N. But, it's not, apparently it's 16N.
Can someone please explain this to me? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are well on your way to solving the last problem. However, the force you have computed is the net force on the big mass. How is this related to the force on that mass due to the string tension?

Likes Iamconfused123
Orodruin said:
You are well on your way to solving the last problem. However, the force you have computed is the net force on the big mass. How is this related to the force on that mass due to the string tension?
ohh, (a+g)×m(1kg)=16×1kg=16N. Or Tension on big mass= mg-ma=40N-24N=16N.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Orodruin said:
Can you also help me with 4th example. Why in the 4th example the force meter shows 0N, If we have weight pulling on the spring on the right side, the weight on the left side is there just to keep the housing from moving, but that does not stop the weight on the right side to pull the spring, right?

Iamconfused123 said:
Why in the 4th example the force meter shows 0N
It doesn’t. It shows 10 N.

Likes SammyS and Iamconfused123
Orodruin said:
It doesn’t. It shows 10 N.
Thanks, then solutions are wrong.

Iamconfused123 said:
Tried to calculate the acceleration, a=((M-m)/(M+m))*g, and then M(4kg)*a(6)=F=24N. But, it's not, apparently it's 16N.
You have found the correct expression for the acceleration. $$a=\frac{M-m}{M+m}g=\frac{4-1}{4+1}\times 10~(\text{m/s}^2)=6~(\text{m/s}^2).$$ The net force on ##m## is up (positive) and is the sum of the unknown tension ##T## (up) plus the weight ##mg## (down).
##F_{\text{net}}=T +(-mg)=T-mg.##
Also, the net force on ##m## is equal to the mass times its acceleration according to Newton's second law. So
##F_{\text{net}}=T-mg = ma \implies T=m(g+a).##
Put in the numbers
##T=1~(\text{kg})\times(10+6)~(\text{m/s}^2)=16~\text{N}.##

The given answer is correct. In the last figure, no reading of the force meter is shown. Instead, we see a hint to use ##10~(\text{m/s}^2)## for the acceleration of gravity.

1. What is a force meter?

A force meter, also known as a force gauge or dynamometer, is a device used to measure the amount of force applied to an object. It typically consists of a spring or other mechanism that stretches or compresses in response to the applied force, and a scale or digital display that shows the magnitude of the force.

2. How does a force meter work?

A force meter works by measuring the deflection of a spring or other mechanism in response to an applied force. This deflection is then converted into a force measurement using Hooke's law, which states that the force applied to a spring is directly proportional to the amount of stretch or compression of the spring.

3. What are some common problems with force meters?

Some common problems with force meters include inaccurate readings due to calibration errors, mechanical wear and tear, and external factors such as temperature and humidity. Another common issue is the inability to measure forces in multiple directions, as most force meters are designed to measure forces in only one direction.

4. How can I ensure the accuracy of my force meter?

To ensure the accuracy of your force meter, it is important to regularly calibrate it using a known weight or force. You should also avoid exposing the force meter to extreme temperatures or humidity, and regularly clean and maintain it to prevent mechanical wear and tear. It is also important to use the force meter only within its specified range and in the correct orientation.

5. Can force meters be used to measure all types of forces?

No, force meters are typically designed to measure only certain types of forces, such as tension or compression forces. They may not be suitable for measuring other types of forces, such as shear or bending forces. It is important to consult the manufacturer's instructions to determine the types of forces that your specific force meter is capable of measuring.