Force of water drops (momentum)

In summary, the problem involves calculating the average force exerted on a limestone floor by water droplets falling from a height of 5.17 m at a rate of 14 droplets per minute. Using the equation for momentum and the given values, the momentum of a single droplet just before impact can be calculated. The change in momentum upon impact and the total change in momentum over a minute can also be determined. The average total change in momentum per second is equal to the average force exerted on the floor by the droplets.
tak08810

Homework Statement

Large limestone caverns have been formed by dripping water. If water droplets of 0.0305 mL fall from a height of 5.17 m at a rate of 14 droplets per minute, what is the average force exerted on the limestone floor by the droplets of water during a 1.00-min period? (Assume the water does not accumulate on the floor)

Homework Equations

p = m*v

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I've tried everything for this problem. http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100411190028AANzFA6 - I tried following this but it doesn't give me the right answer. So I calculate momentum but then how do I find impulse if I don't know the length of time for the impact? I'm really confused.

Physics news on Phys.org
Force = Rate of change of momentum.

o What is the momentum of a single drop just before it hits the limestone floor?
o Following the first question, the change in momentum of a single drop as it hits the limestone floor is what?
o There are 14 drops per minute, so the total change of momentum over a minute is what?
o What is the average total change of momentum per second?

[Edit: By the way, the link you pointed to describes an "Nmgt" term in the impulse equation. But the author of the post seems to have put that there to account for the gravitational force due to the accumulation of water on floor (i.e. Fg = Nmg, where N is the total number of drops and m is the mass of a single drop). But that doesn't apply to your particular problem, since your problem states, "assume the water does not accumulate on the floor."]

Last edited:
Yup I got it! Thank you! I think I was over thinking it :(

What is the force of a water drop?

The force of a water drop is determined by its momentum, which is the product of its mass and velocity.

How is the force of a water drop calculated?

The force of a water drop can be calculated using the formula F=mv, where F is the force, m is the mass of the water drop, and v is its velocity.

What factors affect the force of a water drop?

The force of a water drop can be affected by its mass, velocity, and the surface it is impacting.

What is the relationship between force and momentum?

Force and momentum are directly proportional. This means that as the momentum of a water drop increases, so does its force.

How does the force of a water drop compare to other forces?

The force of a water drop is relatively small compared to other forces, such as gravity or electromagnetism. However, it can still cause significant impact and damage, especially when combined with high velocities.