Calculating Acceleration of a Box on a Frictionless Surface

In summary, the box is pulled by two horizontal forces in the plane of the floor. The resultant acceleration is -25/98 m/s^2 and the angle with the x-axis is 27 degrees.
codyM

Homework Statement

A box of mass 20.00kg placed on a frictionless surface is pulled by two horizontal forces in the plane of the floor, as shown below. Determine the following quantities.
a) acceleration vector.
b) magnitude of resultant acceleration and its angle with the x-axis.

Homework Equations

f=m*a

The Attempt at a Solution

a) (F1-F2)/M=A
f1= 100cos(60)
f2= 200sin(30)
(100cos(60)-200sin(30))/20*9.8=a
a=-25/98

b) I am not sure how to do this.

Attachments

• phys..jpg
    phys..jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 390
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you find the net force acting on the box? Hint: Force is a vector, so you need to add the two forces as vectors.

my idea on the solution for part a. is that the two angles are 60 and 30 outside the horizotal forces this implies that the angle inside should be 90 because the sum of the angles on a straight line =180 as shown by the horizontal dashes on the diagram. by establishing the fact that the angle between the forces is 90 we can use pythagoras theorem to calculate the resultant force acting on the body. the resultant force is the hypothenuse so by squaring the two forces and finding the square root of their sum i got 223 N as the resultant force. F=m *a so dividing the 223 N by the mass of the body gives 11.2 m/s^2 that's my solution.

Doubell said:
my idea on the solution for part a. is that the two angles are 60 and 30 outside the horizotal forces this implies that the angle inside should be 90 because the sum of the angles on a straight line =180 as shown by the horizontal dashes on the diagram. by establishing the fact that the angle between the forces is 90 we can use pythagoras theorem to calculate the resultant force acting on the body. the resultant force is the hypothenuse so by squaring the two forces and finding the square root of their sum i got 223 N as the resultant force. F=m *a so dividing the 223 N by the mass of the body gives 11.2 m/s^2 that's my solution.
That is a good idea, Doubell, for a starting point for part (b) because it gives the magnitude of the acceleration vector. How about the angle? What about part (a)? It asks for the acceleration vector. How would one describe the acceleration as a vector?

kuruman said:
That is a good idea, Doubell, for a starting point for part (b) because it gives the magnitude of the acceleration vector. How about the angle? What about part (a)? It asks for the acceleration vector. How would one describe the acceleration as a vector?

If by describe u mean define the acceleration as it relates to a vector well a vector posses both magnitude and direction. also vectors can be assigned either positive or negative values and acceleration can be assign + or - values so that's how i describe the acceleration as a vector. for part b the angle with the x-axis would be sin^-1 of 100N/223N which gives (27 degrees[/B]) taking the 100N to be the horzontal force (x axis) and the 200N vertical force (y axis). the hypothenuse already established would be 223N,
magnitude of the acceleration would be 223N at 27 degrees(2 sig fig) to the x axis.

Doubell said:
If by describe u mean define the acceleration as it relates to a vector well a vector posses both magnitude and direction. also vectors can be assigned either positive or negative values and acceleration can be assign + or - values so that's how i describe the acceleration as a vector.
Perhaps "describe" was bad wording. How about specify? To specify a vector in 2-d you need to give either its components or a magnitude and an angle.
for part b the angle with the x-axis would be sin^-1 of 100N/223N which gives (27 degrees[/B]) taking the 100N to be the horzontal force (x axis)
You can't do that. The drawing shows the choice of x and y axes and they are not along the force vectors. You have to use the positive x-axis that is given and measure the angle with respect to it.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in an object's velocity by the time it took to change. This can be represented by the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

What is a frictionless surface?

A frictionless surface is a hypothetical surface where there is no resistance or friction between the surface and an object moving on it. This means that an object will not experience any force that opposes its motion, allowing it to move with constant velocity.

How does friction affect acceleration?

Friction can affect acceleration by slowing down the rate of change of an object's velocity. This is because friction acts in the opposite direction of an object's motion, creating a force that must be overcome in order for the object to accelerate.

Can an object have constant acceleration on a frictionless surface?

Yes, an object can have constant acceleration on a frictionless surface. This is because, in the absence of friction, there are no external forces acting on the object to change its velocity, allowing it to maintain a constant rate of acceleration.