Force required to move a 6 wheel cart

In summary, the individual is seeking help with calculating the torque needed for a car with 6 wheels and an estimated weight of 400 Lbs, using 8" pneumatic tires, to drive on a snow covered surface at a maximum speed of 1 Foot per Sec. They are looking for assistance with calculating the torques needed for rolling resistance, hill climbing, and acceleration, possibly in a worst-case combination. They have done some research but are unsure of the calculations needed. One suggestion is to check out Wikipedia for formulas and data specific to snowy conditions. Another suggestion involves using a free body diagram and the formula F=ma to calculate the power needed. A website is also recommended for calculating the torque for all wheels. The estimated torque
iamatallone
I am currently working on an idea of mine and have an issue. I have a car with 6 wheels on it with an estimated weight of 400 Lbs. It will be using 8" pneumatic tires and would like to calculate the how much toque in need in the motor to drive it. I plan on it going no faster than about 1 Foot per Sec. and it will be on a snow covered surface. Any help would be great because i haven't the faintest idea on what i need to calculate it and what research i have done always seems to be inconclusive.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Basic idea would be to find the torques needed to overcome:
1) rolling resistance
2) hill climbing
3) acceleration
Possibly in some worst-case combination.1) Trickiest, check it out on Wikipedia, there are formulas, but you probably need to find data on for your type of snowy situation.
2) Free body diagram, straightforward
3) F=ma

By putting the following values in http://hpwizard.com/car-performance.html" :

(transmission) Engine power: 0.25 hp
vehicle mass: 400 lbm
drive wheels: AWD (The site assumes it is a two-axle vehicle, but if your vehicle is also AWD, it should give similar performance)
friction coeff.: 0.25 (typical value for hard-packed snow)

You get enough power to get maximum traction until 1 km/h ( [tex]\approx[/tex] 1 ft/s). See the first graph (MAXIMUM ACCELERATION & SPEED; solid line).

The rpm of the 8" tires at 1 ft/s is roughly 30 RPM ( [tex]\approx[/tex] 1 ft/s / (8/2) in X 12 in/ft X 30/pi rpm/rad)

Hence the torque for ALL wheels is about 44 lb.ft ( [tex]\approx[/tex] 5252 X 0.25 hp / 30 rpm)

That would be my first estimate.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the formula for calculating the force required to move a 6 wheel cart?

The formula for calculating the force required to move a 6 wheel cart is force = mass x acceleration. In this case, the mass would be the weight of the cart and its contents, and the acceleration would be the rate at which the cart is moving.

2. How does the weight of the cart affect the force required to move it?

The weight of the cart directly affects the force required to move it. The heavier the cart, the more force will be needed to overcome its inertia and move it. This is why it is important to consider the weight of the cart when determining the amount of force needed to move it.

3. Does the type of surface the cart is moving on impact the force required?

Yes, the type of surface the cart is moving on can impact the force required. For example, a smooth, flat surface will require less force to move the cart compared to a rough or uneven surface. This is because the friction between the wheels and the surface is greater on a rough surface, making it more difficult to move the cart.

4. Are there any other factors besides weight that can affect the force required to move a 6 wheel cart?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the force required to move a 6 wheel cart. These include the condition of the wheels, the incline or slope of the surface, and any external forces acting on the cart, such as wind or resistance from the surrounding environment.

5. Is there a way to reduce the force required to move a 6 wheel cart?

Yes, there are a few ways to reduce the force required to move a 6 wheel cart. One way is to decrease the weight of the cart by removing unnecessary items. Another way is to use smoother and larger wheels, which can reduce friction and make it easier to move the cart. Additionally, choosing a flat and smooth surface to move the cart on can also help reduce the force required.