Force to push object up ramp

In summary: You can be informal (unlike a real problem write up) and just point things out as they come up. This tends to force you to say things like "I'm using the sum of forces as my result will be a single force" or "I'm going to use the formula Fg=mg for the weight" etc. You'll see some of us write like that. It helps us keep track of things too.In summary, an engineer conducted a survey and found that customers can push grocery carts up ramps with a force of no more than 50N. With a slope of θ=5° and a cart mass of 30kg, the required force to push the cart up the ramp would be 55.88
TrpnBils

Homework Statement

In the design of a supermarket, there are to be several ramps connecting different parts of the store. Customers will have to push grocery carts up the ramps and it can't be too difficult. An engineer has done a survey and found that no one complains if the force required is no more than 50N. Will a slope of θ=5° be too steep, assuming the cart has a mass of 30kg? Assume μk=0.10

Homework Equations

Ff = μkFn

The Attempt at a Solution

Yes, it is too steep. Why? I have no idea...

Below is my diagram...forgive the fact that Fp is not parallel to the ramp's surface. It's supposed to be, but it's the best I can do in MS Paint right now.

Ff = μk * FN
= 0.1 * 299N
= 29.88 N

FNet = Ff + Fp = 55.88N (greater than the required 50N limit)

Is that right? I've been sitting here looking at this stupid thing for over an hour and I think I may have just gotten it. The one thing I don't like about these textbooks is that they give the answers to selected problems but no explanation. Just because my answer here is over 50N doesn't necessarily mean that it's right. So is it?

Attachments

• ramp 3.jpg
    ramp 3.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 1,377
Physics news on Phys.org
TrpnBils said:
FNet = Ff + Fp = 55.88N (greater than the required 50N limit)

Is that right? I've been sitting here looking at this stupid thing for over an hour and I think I may have just gotten it. The one thing I don't like about these textbooks is that they give the answers to selected problems but no explanation. Just because my answer here is over 50N doesn't necessarily mean that it's right. So is it?

It is over 50 N, the numerical result is almost right, and yes, the slope is too steep. You did it well, why do you not trust in yourself? :smile: one small mistake: mg = 30*9.8cos5=293 instead of 299. What value have you used for g? ehild

Last edited:
According to the diagram he used g=10m/s/s. May have been told to use that. The 299 is mg.sin(5deg). The reasoning shown is sound - needs to draw the friction in the free-body diagram but that's a quibble. Just a tidy up.

One of the ways to gain confidence in your calculations is to keep track of your reasoning at each step. If your initial attempt looks kinda all over the place it can help to pretend you are explaining how to do it to someone else (like us :) ) and you need to keep the explanation simple and short as you can.

1. How does force affect an object moving up a ramp?

The force applied to an object moving up a ramp determines the acceleration of the object. The greater the force, the greater the acceleration, and the faster the object will move up the ramp.

2. Does the angle of the ramp affect the force needed to push an object up?

Yes, the steeper the ramp, the greater the force needed to push an object up. This is because the force must not only counteract the weight of the object, but also the force of gravity pulling the object down the ramp.

3. What other factors besides force can affect an object's movement up a ramp?

The mass of the object and the coefficient of friction between the ramp and the object are also important factors. A heavier object or a ramp with a higher coefficient of friction will require more force to move up the ramp.

4. Is there a maximum force that can be applied to an object moving up a ramp?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of force that can be applied to an object. This is determined by the maximum frictional force that can be generated between the object and the ramp, as well as the strength of the ramp itself.

5. Can you calculate the force needed to push an object up a ramp?

Yes, the force needed can be calculated using the formula F = mgsinθ, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²), and θ is the angle of the ramp. However, this formula assumes an ideal situation with no friction, so the actual force needed may be higher.