How to Derive the Differential Equation for Forced, Damped Oscillations

In summary, the problem with question 1 is that the author is not clear about what he is trying to say. He is trying to derive a differential equation for a car oscillating vertically, but he does not seem to be sure how to do it.
qspeechc

Homework Statement

Hi. The problem is question 1(a) in the file below:
http://www.mth.uct.ac.za/Courses/MAM24678/mod2od/Project1_07.pdf

The Attempt at a Solution

Question 1(a) is the one I have a problem with. I just don't know what he's getting at. Is y(x) the function that describes the road? And comparing y(t) and y(x) implies, to me, that x=vt, so it has a constant velocity with respect to the x-axis; a very odd thing to do...
Is Y then the vertical displacement of the vehicle from the x-axis? So the car is like a mass on a spring ,on the road? I have no idea how he derived that Differential Equation.

Please, any help on deriving the differential equation would be great

Any help is much appreciated thanks.

(P.S. I need this pronto please !)

Ok, what I did. First I said:
Y = y + p + l
l is the relaxed length of the spring (a constant), and p is the displacement from the equilibrium position of the mass on the spring. If you re-write:
p = Y - y - l
then find the equation of motion of the mass on the spring:
m[d^2(p)]/dt^2 = -kp -c(dp/dt)

And plugging in p = Y - y -l, but this does not give the correct answer. I really do not know how to get the differential equation, help please!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm wondering- is this in the correct section? Should I have posted this elsewhere?

Ok, I'll just write out the question here:

Suppose that a car oscillates vertically as if it were a mass m on a single spring with constant k, attached to a single dashpot (dashpot provides resistance) with constant c. Suppose that this car is driven along a washboard road surface with an amplitude a and a wavelength L (Mathematically the 'washboard surface' road is one with the elevation given by y=asin(2*pi*x/L).)

(a) Show that the upward displacement of the car Y satisfies the equation:

[tex]m\ddot{Y} + c\dot{Y} + kY = c\dot{y} + ky[/tex]

where y(t) = asin(2*pi*v*t/L)
and v is the velocity of the car.

Please, anyone?

1. What are forced, damped oscillations?

Forced, damped oscillations refer to a type of motion in which an object is subjected to an external force while also experiencing damping, or a decrease in amplitude over time. This results in the object oscillating with a specific frequency and amplitude.

2. What causes forced, damped oscillations?

Forced, damped oscillations are caused by the combination of an external force acting on an object and the presence of a damping force, such as friction or air resistance. The external force can be a periodic or non-periodic force that is applied to the object.

3. How do forced, damped oscillations differ from other types of oscillations?

Forced, damped oscillations differ from other types of oscillations in that they are influenced by both an external force and a damping force. This results in a specific frequency and amplitude of oscillation, rather than a natural frequency determined by the object's properties.

4. How is the amplitude of forced, damped oscillations affected by the external force?

The amplitude of forced, damped oscillations is affected by the strength and frequency of the external force. The higher the amplitude of the external force, the higher the amplitude of the oscillations will be. Additionally, changing the frequency of the external force can result in resonance, where the amplitude of the oscillations is greatly increased.

5. How do damping forces affect the motion of an object in forced, damped oscillations?

Damping forces, such as friction or air resistance, decrease the amplitude of the oscillations over time. This means that the object's motion will eventually come to a stop, rather than continuing to oscillate indefinitely. Damping forces also affect the frequency of the oscillations, causing them to decrease over time as well.