Forces between 2 down quarks could someone me : )

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the strength of the electrical force between two down quarks at a separation of 1.0 x 10^-15 m. The formula used is F= k x (Q1 x Q2 / r (squared)), resulting in a force of 25.6 N. One person is questioning the accuracy of this answer, while another explains that the nuclear force between the quarks is much stronger and compares it to the weight of a 10-tonne truck. The conversation ends with one person seeking feedback from their tutor and asking for additional suggestions.
Danny523
Forces between 2 down quarks...could someone please help me : )

Hi

I am going slightly insane with this question I have!

"A neutron contains two down quarks at a separation of approximately 10^−15 m. Calculate the strength in Newtons of the electrical force between two down quarks at a separation of 1.0 × 10^-15 m."

Now I have used F= k x (Q1 x Q2 / r (squared))

so...

F = 9 x 10^9 x ((1/3) x (-1.6 x 10^-19 C))(squared) / (1.0 x 10^-15 m )(squared)

and I get 25.6 N

Im pretty sure this is wrong, I am sure its much higher than that.

Could anybody tell me where I am going wrong please.

Thanks

Danny

Physics news on Phys.org

Danny523 said:
Hi

I am going slightly insane with this question I have!

"A neutron contains two down quarks at a separation of approximately 10^−15 m. Calculate the strength in Newtons of the electrical force between two down quarks at a separation of 1.0 × 10^-15 m."

Now I have used F= k x (Q1 x Q2 / r (squared))

so...

F = 9 x 10^9 x ((1/3) x (-1.6 x 10^-19 C))(squared) / (1.0 x 10^-15 m )(squared)

and I get 25.6 N

Im pretty sure this is wrong, I am sure its much higher than that.

Could anybody tell me where I am going wrong please.

Thanks

Danny
I agree with your answer. Why do you think it should be much higher? We are talking about something with an extremely small mass, so this force is really enormous.

AM

Thanks for your reply,

I am questioning my answer because the next question of my assignment says this...

"Book 7 page 121 states that the strong force between two quarks ‘is equivalent to the weight of a 10-tonne truck’. Calculate the weight of a 10-tonne truck and compare this weight with the electrostatic force between the two down quarks in a neutron"

Ive seen example questions which come out with an answer much much larger, but the examples didnt show working. I am really confused. I am pretty sure my figures are right, just not the answer. I am confuuuuused!

Danny523 said:
Thanks for your reply,

I am questioning my answer because the next question of my assignment says this...

"Book 7 page 121 states that the strong force between two quarks ‘is equivalent to the weight of a 10-tonne truck’. Calculate the weight of a 10-tonne truck and compare this weight with the electrostatic force between the two down quarks in a neutron"

Ive seen example questions which come out with an answer much much larger, but the examples didnt show working. I am really confused. I am pretty sure my figures are right, just not the answer. I am confuuuuused!
You were asked to find the electrostatic force between two quarks, not the nuclear force. The nuclear force between two quarks is much, much stronger. It is the nuclear force may be equivalent to the weight of a ten tonne truck.

Furthermore, since the two down quarks have the same charge (-1/3 e) the force between them is repulsive, so it works against the nuclear force between them (which, like gravity, is attractive).

AM

Ahhhhh ok, I think it has just become clearer to me now!

Thank you so much!

Danny

Hi Danny, how was the feedbackt from your tutor to the previous two questions of your assignment? I am actually in your same position, trying to understand how the repulsive electric force of two down quarks could be compared to the weight (gravitational force) of a 10 tonne truck. Does anybody have any suggestion to add? Thanks!

Orion78 said:
Hi Danny, how was the feedbackt from your tutor to the previous two questions of your assignment? I am actually in your same position, trying to understand how the repulsive electric force of two down quarks could be compared to the weight (gravitational force) of a 10 tonne truck. Does anybody have any suggestion to add? Thanks!

Hey, I don't think I still have the feedback from this assignment, it was quite a while ago, but I shall have a look and get back to you if I find it.

Related to Forces between 2 down quarks could someone me : )

1. What are down quarks?

Down quarks are elementary particles that make up protons and neutrons. They are a type of quark, which are subatomic particles that are the building blocks of matter.

2. How are forces between down quarks measured?

The forces between down quarks are measured using the strong nuclear force, which is one of the four fundamental forces in nature. This force is responsible for holding quarks together to form protons and neutrons.

3. What causes forces between down quarks?

The forces between down quarks are caused by the exchange of particles known as gluons. These particles carry the strong nuclear force between quarks.

4. Can forces between down quarks be broken?

Yes, the forces between down quarks can be broken. This can happen when quarks are subjected to extremely high energies, such as those found in particle accelerators. When this happens, new particles are created as the quarks separate.

5. Why is the study of forces between down quarks important?

Studying the forces between down quarks helps us understand the fundamental building blocks of matter and the way they interact with each other. This knowledge is crucial in advancing our understanding of the universe and developing new technologies.