Forces & Motion: Calculating Avg Acceleration of Hockey Puck

• Thread starter Mono182
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the conversation is about a person who is struggling with solving a 2-dimensional problem involving a hockey puck rebounding off of a board. They are having trouble understanding how to approach the problem and are seeking help from others. The other person suggests using trigonometry to find the components of the velocity and acceleration in the north and east directions. They also provide a link to other similar problems for further practice.
Mono182
i'm really stuck on this problem:

A Hockey puck rebounds from a board as shown in Figure 16. The puck is in contact with the board for 2.5 ms. Determine the average acceleration of the puck ober the interval
http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/6277/untitled1copyfw2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, you need to post your thoughts first. Hint- think about the components of the velocities in the north and east directions.

ya that's what i can't figure out. I have a hard time seeing the 2 dimensional problems. Since the velocity decreased 5 m/s, i tried a = (5m/s)/(0.0025s) to get the acceleration. that answer was wrong and the correct had a direction, [7.5º N of W]. I tried working backwards from the answer by plugging in the answer in a = v/t so i could see how to solve 2 dimensional problems; i concluded that V = -18.25 m/s over the time interval. Unfontunatley it didn't help me and i still can't see how to solve the problem.

What you need to do is figure out the acceleration in the north direction, and also in the east direction. Use trig to find the components of the velocity in each of these directions. Then you can find both components of the acceleration. Then use trig to find the angle, by theta=tan(north component/east component).

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Forces & Motion: Calculating Avg Acceleration of Hockey Puck

1. What is average acceleration?

Average acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over a period of time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

2. How do you calculate average acceleration for a hockey puck?

To calculate average acceleration for a hockey puck, you would need to measure the initial velocity and final velocity of the puck, as well as the time it took for the puck to change from the initial velocity to the final velocity. Then, you would use the formula: average acceleration = (final velocity - initial velocity) / time.

3. What units are used to measure average acceleration?

The units for average acceleration are meters per second squared (m/s^2) in the metric system and feet per second squared (ft/s^2) in the imperial system.

4. How does the mass of the hockey puck affect its average acceleration?

The mass of the hockey puck does not directly affect its average acceleration. However, the mass of an object can affect its resistance to changes in velocity, which can indirectly impact its average acceleration.

5. What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the overall change in velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration is calculated using the change in velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is calculated using the derivative of the velocity with respect to time at a specific moment.