Maximizing Wall Force on a Dumbell: Solving a Challenging Physics Problem

• Thread starter DaMastaofFisix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, a dumbell is vertical against a wall, and when at 60 degrees the force exerted by the wall is the greatest.
DaMastaofFisix
Got yet another free-response mind bender:

A dumbell is up against a vertical wall. the top end is tipped over. at what agle theita with respect to the floor is the force exetrtedby the wall a maximum?

No freakkin clue how to start, I understand that careful manipulations of the force and torque equations will yield the results and cancel all unwanted terms, but I need a careful nudge if you will. Any takers?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright, so I started messing around with some variables if you will and came up with about 60 degrees. Problem is that the correct answer is 63 degrees. Something that I must be doing is a bit off. Can someone lay out a method of attack if you will and explain the proper way to solve this problem? Thanks a bunch

what did you do when you got 60 degrees?

I think you have some boundary issues such as how does the bottom keep from sliding and is there friction from the wall to the dumbbell.

Hey guys sorry for the delay...and a major one at that. Umm, the problem was written by physics mastermind Boris Korsunsky, a crazy smart Russian who wrote a book of EXTREMELY challenging, non-calculus related ohysics problems. SO yeah, the Problem does not specify any mass, any distance L of the dumbell, any friction, coefficients of any sorts, nor any initial forces/torques that could set the thing in motion. The problem reads as follows:

A Dumbell is vertically aligned against a wall. At what angle, with respect to the floor, will the force exerted by the WALL on the dumbell be the greatest?

Okay, so for my work, I have been messing around with the three force/torque equations, in both a regularly aligned and rotated system, both before and during the fall itself. I have ben wondering if maybe conservation of evergy or momentum could lead me in the right direction to either give it a different approach, or help eliminate some variables

SO I got 60 degrees with just the force equations and torque, but the answer is 63. Anybody want to take a shot at thus guy? Remember, no variables were given, not even friction, so any variable introduced must be elimiated somehow or another, and ah yes, it should be done (as it says) without calculus.

1. What is a force and how is it measured?

A force is a push or pull that can cause an object to accelerate. It is measured in Newtons (N) and is calculated by multiplying mass (in kilograms) by acceleration (in meters per second squared).

2. What is torque and how is it related to forces?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point. In other words, torque is a force applied at a distance from the pivot point.

3. How do forces and torque affect motion?

Forces and torque can cause an object to change its speed, direction, or shape. They can also cause an object to rotate. By exerting a force on an object, you are changing its motion by either accelerating, decelerating, or changing its direction. Torque, on the other hand, can cause an object to rotate around a pivot point.

4. What are some real-life examples of forces and torque?

Some common examples of forces are gravity, friction, and tension. Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards each other, while friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces. Tension is a force that is applied to an object in order to stretch or pull it. Torque can be seen in everyday activities such as opening a door, twisting a screwdriver, or pedaling a bike.

5. How are forces and torque important in engineering and design?

Forces and torque are essential in engineering and design as they play a significant role in determining the stability, strength, and motion of structures and machines. Engineers use the principles of forces and torque to design buildings, bridges, cars, and other structures that can withstand different types of forces and perform specific functions. Understanding forces and torque is crucial in creating safe and effective designs.