Forming PbO2 by Electrolysis: Lead Plates & Battery Experiments

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving the creation of a battery by placing two lead sheets in a H2SO4 solution and exposing it to a charging current. The experiment was successful and led to a question about why other methods, such as using a plating solution or pressing powdered lead dioxide onto the electrode, are used to coat the lead with PbO2. One reason given is that it allows for the battery to be transported dry and filled with acid on site without the risk of leaking. The conversation also touches on the idea of using a lead electrode for electrolysis production of oxygen gas and the need for special techniques to plate PbO2 on a dry electrode.
RayRoc
A while back I did an experiment, I placed two lead sheets in a H2SO4 solution, exposed it to a charging current and tested the battery there after.

As I understand it, the battery worked by the metal combination of PbO2 and Pb, and through electrolysis I formed the PbO2 directly on the plate.

The result of the experiment was a working battery. Now my question:

If in fact what I understand is correct, why the fuss with coating the lead plated with PbO2, using other less natural ways? Like using a plating solution of lead nitrate, or pressing the powdered lead dioxide right onto the electrode.

On my search for suitable replacements of Platinum electrodes I ran a crossed lead dioxide, and although I am not sure quite yet if lead dioxide would fill my needs, it did raise the question for me.

Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
RayRoc said:
If in fact what I understand is correct, why the fuss with coating the lead plated with PbO2, using other less natural ways? Like using a plating solution of lead nitrate, or pressing the powdered lead dioxide right onto the electrode.

One of the reasons: you can have ready battery, that can be transported dry and filled with an acid on site. Such a battery won't leak even if it is dropped or hit, so it is much safer to move.

I thought I understood the mechanism that would produce the lead dioxide on the electrode, but I have read about electrode preparation involving the plating of the PbO2 on a substrate like titanium, carbon, and lead. This doesn’t make sense to me when it comes to lead, as I thought it would be a byproduct of electrolysis.

These are different cases. You may produce PbO2 on the lead surface during electrolysis in sulfuric acid; no doubt about it. But when you want to plate PbO2 by dry method on the dry electrode, you have to use tricks. Just pouring dry, powdered PbO2 won't suffice.

Borek thank you for your replies, you have answered my intended question, (I think) but for clairification, even though a simple experiment would suffice, I still wonder if I would have problems useing a lead electrode for electrolysis production of oxygen gas.

Related to Forming PbO2 by Electrolysis: Lead Plates & Battery Experiments

1. How does electrolysis form PbO2 from lead plates?

Electrolysis is a process that uses an electric current to drive a non-spontaneous chemical reaction. In the case of forming PbO2 from lead plates, the lead plates act as the electrodes and are placed in an electrolytic cell containing a solution of lead sulfate. When an electric current is passed through the cell, oxidation occurs at the anode (positive electrode) where the lead plates are located. This results in the formation of PbO2 on the surface of the lead plates.

2. What is the purpose of using lead plates in this experiment?

The lead plates act as the electrodes in the electrolytic cell and provide a surface for the PbO2 to form. The lead plates also serve as a conductive material to allow the electric current to pass through the cell.

3. Can PbO2 be formed from other materials besides lead plates?

Yes, PbO2 can also be formed from other lead-based materials such as lead dioxide powder or lead oxide paste. However, using lead plates is a more convenient and easily accessible method for conducting this experiment.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when conducting this experiment?

Since this experiment involves the use of electricity and chemicals, it is important to take proper safety precautions. This includes wearing protective gear such as gloves and goggles, working in a well-ventilated area, and following all instructions carefully. It is also important to properly dispose of any leftover chemicals and clean up the experimental area after completing the experiment.

5. How can the results of this experiment be applied in real-world situations?

PbO2 formed by electrolysis is commonly used in the production of lead-acid batteries, which are used in various applications such as cars, boats, and backup power systems. This experiment can also be used to demonstrate the principles of electrolysis and its applications in industrial processes such as metal refining and wastewater treatment.