Four point probe conductivity

In summary, the speaker is new to electrical measurements and is seeking advice on how to convert resistance measured by a Keithley sourcemeter into conductivity and resistivity, considering the irregular shape of their polymer samples. They provide links to resources and suggest contacting the equipment maker for further assistance.
prix27
I am new to this field of electrical measurements and my question may sound amateurish but your suggestions will be highly appreciated.

I have got a micron thick polymer sample with some kind of irregular shape. I mean with each sample the shape is being changed little bit as the shape is not in my control. I am measuring the resistance in MOhms using keithley sourcemeter with four point probe.

Now my question is how to convert this resistance that I have got from Keithley sourcemeter into conductivity and resistivity.As the shape is random and irregular for my different samples,is it right for me to compare the conductivities of different sample.
Your help and suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Thank You.

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is the purpose of a four point probe conductivity measurement?

A four point probe conductivity measurement is used to determine the electrical conductivity of a material. It is a non-destructive testing method that can provide accurate and precise measurements of a material's conductivity.

2. How does a four point probe conductivity measurement work?

A four point probe conductivity measurement works by passing a small electrical current through the outer two probes, while measuring the voltage drop between the inner two probes. By using four probes instead of two, this method eliminates the effects of contact resistance and provides more accurate results.

3. What types of materials can be measured using a four point probe conductivity measurement?

A four point probe conductivity measurement can be used to measure the conductivity of both conductive and semi-conductive materials. This includes metals, semiconductors, and even biological tissues.

4. What are the advantages of using a four point probe conductivity measurement?

One of the main advantages of using a four point probe conductivity measurement is its high accuracy and precision. It also allows for non-destructive testing, meaning the material being measured does not need to be damaged or altered in any way.

5. Are there any limitations to using a four point probe conductivity measurement?

While four point probe conductivity measurements are highly accurate, they are limited to measuring the conductivity of homogeneous materials. They may also be affected by surface conditions and material thickness, so proper sample preparation is necessary for accurate results.