Proving the Fourier Coefficients of f' Using Periodic Functions | Homework Help

In summary: In your integration by parts you've got v=cos(kx). Then dv=(-k*sin(kx))dx. Not 1/k. And the pi should have been included into definition of bk.
Kuma

Homework Statement

Hi there.

The question is:

if f(x) is a periodic function with period 2pi and the derivative is f'(x) continuous on [-pi, pi]

show that the Fourier coefficients of f' are kbk and -kak if the Fourier coefficients of f are ak and bk respectively.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my attempt. Doesn't quite get there:

so ak' = 1/2pi int from -pi to pi of f'(x) cos kx dx

use parts:
f'(x) = du
f(x) = u
cos kx = v
-1/k sin kx = dv

i get

1/2pi[f(x) cos kx/k + 1/k int from -pi to pi f(x) sin kx]

of course the integral in the parts equation is just bk, and the f(x) cos kx/k evaluated from pi to -pi just becomes 2f(pi)cos kpi.

So then I'm left with.

1/pi[f(pi)cos k pi + (1/k)bk]

I guess I can write it as

[(-1)^k f(pi) + (1/k) bk]/pi

What did i do wrong??

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Kuma said:

Homework Statement

Hi there.

The question is:

if f(x) is a periodic function with period 2pi and the derivative is f'(x) continuous on [-pi, pi]

show that the Fourier coefficients of f' are kbk and -kak if the Fourier coefficients of f are ak and bk respectively.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is my attempt. Doesn't quite get there:

so ak' = 1/2pi int from -pi to pi of f'(x) cos kx dx

use parts:
f'(x) = du
f(x) = u
cos kx = v
-1/k sin kx = dv

i get

1/2pi[f(x) cos kx/k + 1/k int from -pi to pi f(x) sin kx]

of course the integral in the parts equation is just bk, and the f(x) cos kx/k evaluated from pi to -pi just becomes 2f(pi)cos kpi.

So then I'm left with.

1/pi[f(pi)cos k pi + (1/k)bk]

I guess I can write it as

[(-1)^k f(pi) + (1/k) bk]/pi

What did i do wrong??

E.g. f(x) evaluated from -pi to pi is f(pi)-f(-pi). That's not 2f(pi).

Dick said:
E.g. f(x) evaluated from -pi to pi is f(pi)-f(-pi). That's not 2f(pi).

isn't it f(pi) cos kpi - f(-pi) cos -kpi

I wasn't sure how to evaluate that, with k odd i think -2f(pi) and even its 2f(pi) isn't it?

Kuma said:
isn't it f(pi) cos kpi - f(-pi) cos -kpi

I wasn't sure how to evaluate that, with k odd i think -2f(pi) and even its 2f(pi) isn't it?

No. f is periodic. So f(-pi)=f(pi) and cos(kpi)=cos(-kpi), right?

Oh right. So then the first term is 0?
But then I'm still left with (1/k pi)(bk).

Kuma said:
Oh right. So then the first term is 0?
But then I'm still left with (1/k pi)(bk).

In your integration by parts you've got v=cos(kx). Then dv=(-k*sin(kx))dx. Not 1/k. And the pi should have been included into definition of bk.

What are Fourier coefficients?

Fourier coefficients are numerical values that describe the amplitude and phase of individual sinusoidal components in a Fourier series. They are used in signal processing and mathematical analysis to represent a periodic function as a sum of simpler trigonometric functions.

How are Fourier coefficients calculated?

Fourier coefficients are typically calculated using an integral formula called the Fourier transform. This formula takes a periodic function as input and outputs the coefficients for each sinusoidal component. Alternatively, they can also be calculated using numerical methods such as the Fast Fourier Transform (FFT) algorithm.

What is the significance of Fourier coefficients?

Fourier coefficients are important because they allow us to break down a complex signal into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and understand. They also have many practical applications in fields such as digital signal processing, image processing, and data compression.

How do I interpret Fourier coefficients?

The magnitude of a Fourier coefficient represents the amplitude of the corresponding sinusoidal component, while the phase represents the shift in time of that component. By looking at the coefficients, you can determine the frequency components present in a signal and how much they contribute to the overall signal.

Can Fourier coefficients be negative?

Yes, Fourier coefficients can have negative values. This simply means that the corresponding sinusoidal component has a negative amplitude or a phase shift of pi radians (180 degrees). Negative coefficients are important in accurately representing complex signals and should not be interpreted as a negative signal value.