Solving Fourier Cosine Series Homework w/ Matlab & Excel

In summary, the conversation is about finding the a0, a1, etc. coefficients in a given summation that relates to the expansion of f(t) in equation (5.2). The solution involves plugging the given equation into a spreadsheet and using a simple plug and chug method. There is no need for FFT analysis. The a0, a1, etc. coefficients are found by comparing the format of the given summation to the expansion of f(t) in equation (5.2). The posts by @scottdave and @Carter provide further explanation on what the a_n coefficients represent.
Carter

Homework Statement

upload_2018-4-3_23-11-46.png

Homework Equations

All I know is the a's have something to do with the integrals.
upload_2018-4-3_23-13-22.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I used FFT analysis in Matlab but I do not know what I am looking for. How do the a0s relate to the f(t) in the question and how would I even do run that equation in an excell program. I just need to know where to start.

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-3_23-11-46.png
    upload_2018-4-3_23-11-46.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 1,010
  • upload_2018-4-3_23-13-22.png
    upload_2018-4-3_23-13-22.png
    20.8 KB · Views: 956
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you need FFT analysis for this. Read the problem statement and do what it says using a spreadsheet. It's a simple plug and chug and plot question.

To find the a0, a1, etc. Compare the format of the given summation to the expansion of f(t) in equation (5.2)

scottdave said:
To find the a0, a1, etc. Compare the format of the given summation to the expansion of f(t) in equation (5.2)
so would a0 be .2 and a1=(2/pi)(-1)^1/1

kuruman said:
I don't think you need FFT analysis for this. Read the problem statement and do what it says using a spreadsheet. It's a simple plug and chug and plot question.
what am I pluging into, how do the a's relate to the f(t).

Carter said:
what am I pluging into, how do the a's relate to the f(t).
You are plugging into the equation ##f(t)=0.2+\frac{2}{\pi} \sum_{n=1}^\infty~...~etc## that is given to you. The posts by @scottdave and @Carter explain what the ##a_n## are, they are whatever multiplies each ##\cos(4n \pi t)## term in the summation.

Carter said:
so would a0 be .2 and a1=(2/pi)(-1)^1/1
If you multiply that by sine( 0.2(1)pi) then that will be a1

Last edited:

What is a Fourier cosine series?

A Fourier cosine series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of cosine functions with different amplitudes and frequencies. It is a useful tool for analyzing and solving problems in various fields of science and engineering.

How can I use Matlab to solve Fourier cosine series?

Matlab is a powerful software that can be used to solve Fourier cosine series by using its built-in functions and algorithms. You can input the function and its parameters, and Matlab will generate the coefficients and plot the resulting series.

What are the benefits of using Excel for solving Fourier cosine series?

Excel is a versatile tool that can be used for various mathematical and data analysis tasks. It can be useful for solving Fourier cosine series because it allows for easy input and manipulation of data, and it also has built-in functions for performing mathematical operations.

Do I need to have a strong background in math to solve Fourier cosine series with Matlab and Excel?

While having a strong background in math can be helpful, it is not necessary to solve Fourier cosine series with Matlab and Excel. These software tools have user-friendly interfaces and built-in functions that make it easier for non-experts to use and understand.

Can I use Matlab and Excel to solve any type of Fourier cosine series?

Yes, Matlab and Excel can be used to solve most types of Fourier cosine series, including non-periodic and non-symmetric functions. However, the accuracy and efficiency of the solutions may vary depending on the complexity of the series and the skills of the user.