Computing Fourier Series for Odd Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses computing the first 3 non-zero terms in the Fourier series expansion of a given function f(t). The function is odd, so the Fourier sine series formula is used. The period of the function is 2∏, so the value of w is 1. The resulting Fourier expansion is (-2/n∏) [cos(n∏)sin(nt) - sin(nt)], but it is incorrect as cos∏ should equal -1 instead of 1. After correcting this mistake, the correct expansion is obtained: 4/∏ [sin(t) + 1/3sin(3t) + 1/5sin(5t)].
kiwifruit

Homework Statement

f(t)= -1 if -∏ < t ≤ 0
1 if 0 < t ≤ ∏

f(t+2∏) = f(t)

question asks to compute first 3 non-zero terms in Fourier series expansion of f(t)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

since this is an odd function i used the Fourier sine series formula

f(t)=

Ʃ (bn) sin(nwt)
n=1

(bn)= (2/L)*
L
∫ f(t)sin(nwt)
this is just integral from 0 to L cause i don't know how to use the subscipts on the forum

i got L=∏ since the period,T=2∏
w=1

so my (bn)=(-2/n∏) [cos(n∏)-1]
so as a refult my Fourier expansion becomes (bn) sin(nwt)
and i get (-2/n∏) [cos(n∏)sin(nt) - sin(nt)]

and whatever n value i get cos(n∏)=1 so it will be 0 for every n value. I am pretty sure i did something wrong here since the answer is
4/∏ [sin(t) + 1/3sin(3t) + 1/5sin(5t)]

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, kiwifruit! :smile:

You have (bn)=(-2/n∏) [cos(n∏)-1].

Let's try to fill in a couple of values for n.
What do you get for n=1?
Since I do not get zero.

thank you. i got it now. i confused cos∏=1 when it should be -1

Cheers!

What is a Fourier Series Expansion?

A Fourier Series Expansion is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sinusoidal functions with different frequencies and amplitudes. It is used in many areas of science and engineering to analyze and approximate complex periodic signals.

How is a Fourier Series Expansion calculated?

A Fourier Series Expansion is calculated using a formula called the Fourier Series representation, which expresses the function as an infinite sum of cosine and sine functions. This formula takes into account the period, amplitude, and frequency of the original function to determine the coefficients of the series.

What is the importance of Fourier Series Expansion in science?

Fourier Series Expansion is important in science because it allows us to break down complex signals into simpler components, making it easier to analyze and understand them. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing to study and manipulate periodic phenomena.

What is the difference between Fourier Series Expansion and Fourier Transform?

The main difference between Fourier Series Expansion and Fourier Transform is that the former is used for periodic signals, while the latter is used for non-periodic signals. Fourier Transform is a more general form of Fourier Series Expansion and can be applied to a wider range of signals.

What are some real-world applications of Fourier Series Expansion?

Fourier Series Expansion has various real-world applications, such as in the analysis of sound waves, electrical signals, and mechanical vibrations. It is also used in image processing, data compression, and weather forecasting. Additionally, Fourier Series Expansion is the basis of many audio and video compression techniques used in everyday technology like MP3 players and digital television.