Fourier series (integration of pi)

In summary, the question involves expressing a function as a half range cosine series. The main difficulty is removing the pi from the function, but it can be treated as a constant. The final solution involves including the a0/2 term and correctly integrating the -pi term.
DanPF

Homework Statement

Hi

First of all this a textbook question from Stroud Advanced Engineering Mathematics, solution is given, but no steps are shown.

A question I just can't seem to solve at the moment, as below.

A function f(x) is defined by [tex]f(x) = \pi - x:0 < x < \pi[/tex]
[tex] f(x + 2\pi) = f(x)[/tex]

Express the function as a half range cosie series

Homework Equations

Im at a loss of how to start this question, I've been doing fine when they haven't included pi in the function itself.

I know as its wanted as a cosine series I'll have to make it resemble an even function and thus my a0 and an terms can be

[tex]2/\pi \int^{\pi}_{0}\pi - x dx[/tex][tex]\stackrel{2}{\pi}\int^{\pi}_{0}\pi - x\:cosnx:dx[/tex]

So my main question is really how I remove pi. I've tried taking it out as a constant which doesn't work, so I have a feeling I am not realising something

The final solution according to the book is

[tex] \pi/2 + 4/\pi\left\{cosx + 1/9:cos3x + 1/25:cos5x+ ...\right\}[/tex]

I keep getting [tex] -\pi^2[/tex] for a0

Thank you for reading and any help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
DanPF said:
[tex]\stackrel{2}{\pi}\int^{\pi}_{0}\pi - x\:cosnx:dx[/tex]

Since you haven't actually shown what you did, I will make a wild guess that your problem is caused by leaving the parentheses out:

[tex]\stackrel{2}{\pi}\int^{\pi}_{0}(\pi - x)\:cosnx\ dx[/tex]

You don't treat [itex]\pi[/itex] any differently than you would treat a number like 5.

Hi

Thanks for the reply, sorry I didnt put down more of my working, I was having trouble using the Latex. I have solved the problem as I was forgetting the a0/2 term, and didnt correctly integrate the -pi term.

What is a Fourier series?

A Fourier series is a mathematical representation of a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It is commonly used in signal processing and engineering to analyze and represent periodic signals.

What is the integration of pi in a Fourier series?

The integration of pi in a Fourier series refers to the process of calculating the coefficients of the sine and cosine functions in the series. These coefficients are determined by integrating the original function over one period, which is defined as 2pi.

Why is the integration of pi important in Fourier series?

The integration of pi allows us to accurately represent periodic functions as a sum of simpler trigonometric functions. This makes it easier to analyze and manipulate these functions, as well as to approximate non-periodic functions by using Fourier series with a large number of terms.

What is the difference between discrete and continuous Fourier series?

The integration of pi is used in both discrete and continuous Fourier series, but the main difference between the two is the type of function being represented. A discrete Fourier series is used to represent a periodic function with a finite number of data points, while a continuous Fourier series is used for functions with an infinite number of data points.

How is the integration of pi performed in a Fourier series?

The integration of pi is typically performed using the Fourier series formula, which involves calculating the coefficients of the sine and cosine functions by integrating the original function over one period. This can be done analytically or numerically using various mathematical techniques.