1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Fourier series (integration of pi)

1. Apr 12, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi

First of all this a text book question from Stroud Advanced Engineering Mathematics, solution is given, but no steps are shown.

A question I just cant seem to solve at the moment, as below.

A function f(x) is defined by [tex]f(x) = \pi - x:0 < x < \pi[/tex]
    [tex] f(x + 2\pi) = f(x)[/tex]

Express the function as a half range cosie series

2. Relevant equations

Im at a loss of how to start this question, Ive been doing fine when they havent included pi in the function itself.

I know as its wanted as a cosine series I'll have to make it resemble an even function and thus my a0 and an terms can be

[tex]2/\pi \int^{\pi}_{0}\pi - x dx[/tex]

[tex]\stackrel{2}{\pi}\int^{\pi}_{0}\pi - x\:cosnx:dx[/tex]

So my main question is really how I remove pi. Ive tried taking it out as a constant which doesnt work, so I have a feeling Im not realising something

The final solution according to the book is

[tex] \pi/2 + 4/\pi\left\{cosx + 1/9:cos3x + 1/25:cos5x+ ...\right\}[/tex]

I keep getting [tex] -\pi^2[/tex] for a0

Thank you for reading and any help

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2010 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Since you haven't actually shown what you did, I will make a wild guess that your problem is caused by leaving the parentheses out:

[tex]\stackrel{2}{\pi}\int^{\pi}_{0}(\pi - x)\:cosnx\ dx[/tex]

You don't treat [itex]\pi[/itex] any differently than you would treat a number like 5.

4. Apr 14, 2010 #3
    Hi

Thanks for the reply, sorry I didnt put down more of my working, I was having trouble using the Latex. I have solved the problem as I was forgetting the a0/2 term, and didnt correctly integrate the -pi term.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook